Closed Solved

Need help cloning SSD drive!

I've got a backup program called EASEAUS BAckup that has a clone disk option. Has clone disk sector-by-sector option as well.

I copied my entire current boot drive (60GB Corsair SSD) to my new drive (120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD) - but it won't boot.

STRANGE part (To me at least): when i ordered this system from iBuyPower I ordered a 60GB SSD as boot drive, and 1TB HDD (SATA3) as a data drive. My boot drive WILL NOT BOOT without the 1TB data drive plugged in. I even have to select the 1TB HDD as the boot drive in BIOS!! And yes - all my windows files (Windows/ directory) *is* on the 60HB SSD drive. I also have a 2nd 1TB HDD. So right now there's my 60GB SSD, 120GB SSD, and 2 1TB HDDs. All I want to do is be able to use my 120GB as my boot drive so I can remove my 60GB and put it in something else.

Here's a screenshot of disk manager: http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/7490/drives.jpg

What's going on??? Why will my original 60GB SSD not boot unless the 1TB is both connected AND selected as the boot drive in BIOS?

(??????)
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need cloning drive
  1. Best answer
    I think I can answer one question. The 60GB won't boot without the 1TB because of the 100MB partition on disk3. Windows uses a small system partition that you can put wherever you want and iBuyPower must have kept that partition off the SSD to save space. Also, if I had to guess, the FOR WINDOWS 2 partition on disk3 could be where they put the page file.

I would imagine there's ways of cleaning it all up so that everything works the way you want, but the only headache-free way is going to be with a fresh install. I know that can be scary, but backing up your data and putting a new installation on the 120GB drive is the most reliable way. If you do that, I suggest unplugging your 1TB drives before hand because the windows installer might see that there is a 100MB system partition on the 1TB drive and try to automatically put the next one there.
  2. Are u sure that there is not any part of the back up on that 1TB drive too?
  3. Best answer selected by z0diacx.
  4. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Boot Windows 7