Help a lonely, confused video editor build his pc?

2lazy2thinkofaclevername

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
first off, SORRY if you read this is another section. you see, i am what we like to call a "n00b" and i posted this in cpus for some unknown reason. so now im copying and pasting this into the proper section lol.

second off, you will be my very best friend if you actually read and reply to this. i thank you in advance!

so this is my first computer that i'm trying to build on my own. i'm using a website called directron to try to get all the stuff to build it, but i'm sure i screwed up something along the way. so before i go and blow about 800 dollars, tell me what i did wrong lol.

i'm trying to use this computer primarily for video editing. i am going to be running avid media composer, adobe after effects, and cinema 4d studio on this puppy.

aight people. here's what i got so far.

(idk exactly what order or how to go about telling u the parts, so i think i'm just gonna copy and paste these abnormally long titles for all the parts q

Motherboard:
MSI H61M-P23 (B3) LGA1155 M-ATX Motherboard, Intel H61 (B3) Chipset, Supports Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs, DDR3 1333, SATA 3Gb/s

Processor/CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz 32nm Retail

RAM:
Two 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1333 Patriot PGV38G1333ELK

Graphics card:
GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCI-E Asus EN8400GS SILENT/DI/512MD2

Hard drive:
One 1TB SATA 3.5in OEM Seagate ST31000528AS

(i am probably going to buy an external hardrive in addition to this)

Power supply:
Black CoolMax 750W ATX PSU CUL-750B

Case:
Black Ark Technology PN03 mATX Computer Case, 2x 5.25in Bays, w/ 80mm Fan

i do have a couple of questions.

1) lol is everything on this computer actually work together? it would seriously suck to order something to have it not work lol.

2) am i good on wattage (lol and is that the proper term)? i read in multiple places on this forum that you want your power to be running at like 50% ideally or something like that. i know avid and cinema are crazy about that hyperthreading mumbo jumbo, but that should still be good...right?

3) FANS! do i need more of them? i assume that one 80mm fan won't really do me the trick, but then again I know nothing about this stuff.

4) what is your favorite color?!?

thank you SO MUCH if you actually made it this far. all answers are welcome and appreciated :)

I'd look at a Z68 plate for your graphics work,
Chip and ram are both good
not up on 'proper' graphics cards for work purposes I'm afraid but you will be wanting a 1Gb card at least
and probably a better branded psu, the 12v rails on that one are pitiful,
http://www.directron.com/cmpsu500cxv2.html is cheaper and much better for you
Fans, I'm a bad person to ask lol, more the better imo, depends on your case tbh and matx's are small, I'd push as many 120mm's as I could fit in there od go for a bigger case if thats an option
Favourite colour? Matt Black, I spray most everything matt black, my Motorbike, My pc builds, not my guitar though, that would be unforgivable :p
Moto

candlelarbra5212

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
2500k insed of the 2600k
get a p67 or z68 so you can overclock
and spend the extra on a better graphics 6950 gtx 570 gtx 560 6970
get a good brand power supply (its worth spending a little extra on a good brand)

From your other thread ...

(As noted ...) The H61 cannot utilize the unlocked multiplier of the 2600K -- you will be constrained to a very limited base clock. If you stick with the 2600K look for an H67 or Z68 MB.

Cinema 4d would work quite well with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition at $170. Throw in the Asus M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G for $138, some QVL RAMs, and off you go.

This G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 kit for $85 is qualified for both the x6 Thuban and the new 32nm Bulldozer on the Asus M5A88-V.

The CM Elite 430 is $36 after rebate and promo code. Win7 64-bit is $85 with code EMCKDKA44, and the Corsair CX500 power supply is $52 after rebate. A DVD optical will set yah back $20.

Spend some extra cash on a thirty dollar aftermarket cooler.

For your disk I/O: 4 x Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB -- or maybe 2 of the F4s in RAID for your OS/Apps and 2 x Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TBs for output would be outstanding.

Dude claims ""...well over 400 mb/sec on R&W..."" in RAID on the F4s. They are the highest rated mechanical HDD in Passmark - a single F4 drive can approach yer typical 64GB SSD in some R/Ws.

With the F4s in RAID for your OS/Apps, and a pair of F4s in RAID for output you should be right on budget. With the F4s for output add $30.

With the x6 at 3.8GHz, you should be easily in the *7* range for your CineMarks.