Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best monitor to pare with a 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 30, 2011 2:21:34 AM

Looking for a monitor on newegg.ca 22"-27"

I'm looking for an economical sweet spot, something with good warranty, low fail rate, and nice picture 1920x1080+

Using for gaming, designing, movies, everyday use.

More about : monitor pare 580

a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 3:23:30 AM

Samsung makes some really nice monitors with good gaming performance and nice-looking frame/bezel/stands. I'm happy with my monitor, but if you can find a 120 hz monitor, that would be the way to go.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 3:31:56 AM

17seconds said:
Samsung makes some really nice monitors with good gaming performance and nice-looking frame/bezel/stands. I'm happy with my monitor, but if you can find a 120 hz monitor, that would be the way to go.



Are 120hz monitors really only beneficial for 3d and only a feature on 3d monitors? I have a lower res samsung and my brother is now using it and I like it, besides the stuck pixel which went away after some time. Any specific model? I want something that is well known preferably.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 3:40:26 AM

The only thing with 120 hz is that it will allow for faster framerates without tearing. With 120 hz, you will have a ceiling of 120 fps, vs. 60 fps for a 60 hz monitor.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 3:43:24 AM

17seconds said:
The only thing with 120 hz is that it will allow for faster framerates without tearing. With 120 hz, you will have a ceiling of 120 fps, vs. 60 fps for a 60 hz monitor.



I thought the 120hz only cam into play with 3d.... I guess I'll look at the asus 3d monitor.
m
0
l
a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 3:48:22 AM

The higher your FPS gets above a monitor's screen refresh rate, the greater the possibility of screen tearing during games. To counter this, some people use VSync, which will limit FPS to the screen refresh rate. In that scenario, a 120 hz monitor would allow a max FPS of 120. All the same, screen tearing is not usually a really big deal, and a 60 hz monitor is still a good option.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 3:51:45 AM

17seconds said:
The higher your FPS gets above a monitor's screen refresh rate, the greater the possibility of screen tearing during games. To counter this, some people use VSync, which will limit FPS to the screen refresh rate. In that scenario, a 120 hz monitor would allow a max FPS of 120. All the same, screen tearing is not usually a really big deal, and a 60 hz monitor is still a good option.



I'm not a real fan of screen tearing. I am getting used to it but if I could get 120fps and keep butter smoothness than I'm willing to dish out the extra bucks... The only one I can find on newegg is the asus monitor witch looks to be pretty fair for the price.
m
0
l
a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 3:55:50 AM

Asus makes a good monitor, and I think it's 3D Vision certified, if you ever decide to go the 3D gaming route.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:00:54 AM

17seconds said:
Asus makes a good monitor, and I think it's 3D Vision certified, if you ever decide to go the 3D gaming route.


I'm interested in 3d gaming, and even more so with 120fps and below tear-free gaming, especially because I'm considering another 580 when they go on sale.
m
0
l
a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 4:06:48 AM

I can highly recommend 3D Vision, and they just lowered the prices to $150 for the kit. A GTX 580 will eat up most games in 3D Vision.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:10:06 AM

17seconds said:
I can highly recommend 3D Vision, and they just lowered the prices to $150 for the kit. A GTX 580 will eat up most games in 3D Vision.



I have read a lot about headaches, eyestrain, and sickness/equilibrium going fubar after usage. I seem most prone to eye stain and blurry vision. I currently do not wear glasses, I play a lot of games mainly on the 360 until the rest of my parts are ordered and my pc is built. How do you feel after 3d game play and what is your recomended usage?
m
0
l
a c 598 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 4:34:59 AM

I have only tried out a demo version, a racing game that was eye-popping amazing. I don't own 3D Vision myself. I did link to a bunch of reviews in this thread, which is worth checking out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm sure you can search for "3D Vision problems" to see what comes up. I guess it is always wise to take a break every once in a while, or come up for air so to speak.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:42:01 AM

17seconds said:
I have only tryed out a demo version, a racing game that was eye-popping amazing. I don't own 3D Vision myself. I did link to a bunch of reviews in this thread, which is worth checking out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm sure you can search for "3D Vision problems" to see what comes up. I guess it is always wise to take a break every once in a while, or come up for air so to speak.



I'll check those links out tomorrow. Thanks
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:55:21 AM

make sure the monitor's refresh rate supports the resolution you will be using it as. some times they list 75hz or whatever as the max refresh rate, yet that is only for lower resolutions, and at 1080p you will be stuck with 60hz instead.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:00:48 AM

ferelden said:
make sure the monitor's refresh rate supports the resolution you will be using it as. some times they list 75hz or whatever as the max refresh rate, yet that is only for lower resolutions, and at 1080p you will be stuck with 60hz instead.


I'll keep that in mind. Its funny because I just read something about that today...
m
0
l
!