Cpu/Hard drive suggestion for a gaming pc needed.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
What is a good hard drive for a gaming pc? Im looking for the usual speed, performance, quiet and reliable things out of what you would expect. But it will go in a designated gaming pc so I dont need lots of space really since Id probabllly have a couple hundred gigs of space taken up on average since aside from windows and a few utilities all I would have on it are games.

And a second question. Which would perform better for strictly gaming? Sandy bridge i5 2500 or a core i7 860?

Thank you.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Samsung a good brand now I take it? Its been a long time since I had experince with them, was back when 60gb was the normal size and their drives universally sucked from what I could tell.

Ive been using western digital for awhile now and always been happy since they were quiet and last me a long time. How does like a velociraptor 300gb compare to that samsung spinpoint?

And isnt the 2500 and 2500k exactly the same except the k is for overclocking?

The i5-2500K would be your best bet for a CPU.

The hard drive does not improvement gaming performance. However, a fast hard drive means that you can install and uninstall games faster. It will also load and save games, and new areas faster. Other than that, there is no improvement to frame rates. I generally like Western Digital Black HDDs.

Generally speaking the difference between the i5-2500 and i5-2500K is the "K" version has the Intel HD 3000 graphics core, while the npn-"K" version has the slower Intel HD 2000 graphics core. There are also some security features in the non-"K" version that's ideal for businesses, but does not benefit the average consumer.

Yes, it is true that the i5-2500 has very limited overclocking potential.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
jaguarskx

Generally speaking the difference between the i5-2500 and i5-2500K is the "K" version has the Intel HD 3000 graphics core, while the npn-"K" version has the slower Intel HD 2000 graphics core. There are also some security features in the non-"K" version that's ideal for businesses, but does not benefit the average consumer.

Yes, it is true that the i5-2500 has very limited overclocking potential.

Oh I know the hard drive doesnt do much for games, if I got one I just wanted something quiet and reliable that would also load games reasonably fast so like when I load a level, change zones in a MMO or loading a new map when Im online in a shooter I wanted that to be as fast as possible.

Before posting this I was considering this drive but I wasnt sure how its performance would be in gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697

And from what I gather even if I dont oc the 2500k its still better for gaming because of hd3000 core? That what your saying? My video card is a raedon 5750 now, might end up getting something depending on what the next round of cards are that come out, but for now my 5750 runs my games fine.