Closed

Dual 8 core Dual 8cr bulldozer? Possible? AMD vs Intel for video/music

Hey Guys, had a couple of questions about processors and cores in terms of video and music production. Note that my music software (Cubase 6 64x) can utilize all cores and ram. Please note that it is very easy to utilize 40+ gigs of ram making orchestral music

1. Would a 2600k with 4 virtual cores be more effective than 8 true cores for video and music production? I know it may be a lot more complicated than that, but I don't have much knowledge in this area.

2. Any word of the bulldozer being dual processors like the Xeons? I would love to have dual 8 or dual 6 cores that are NOT server.

3. Are there anything AMD dual processors out there that can compare to the Xeon 12 cores for much much less money?

4. I've heard many musicians say that intel machines are better than AMD for extreme multitasking. Can anyone validate that?

If the bulldozers have server cpu's, I am thinking dual 8 cores with a processor clocked to at least 4.5, with 40+ gigs of ram will be great. I wouldn't want to spend more than 1500-2000 on a new processor/motherboard.

Thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about dual core dual bulldozer possible intel video music
  1. markgerazzi said:
    Hey Guys, had a couple of questions about processors and cores in terms of video and music production. Note that my music software (Cubase 6 64x) can utilize all cores and ram. Please note that it is very easy to utilize 40+ gigs of ram making orchestral music

1. Would a 2600k with 4 virtual cores be more effective than 8 true cores for video and music production? I know it may be a lot more complicated than that, but I don't have much knowledge in this area.

-It really depends on the software, as virtual cores (Hyperthreading/HT) can be buggy in some audio applications. For instance, AVID recommended turning HT off and then fixed the issue in Pro Tools 9. Therefore, you might want to check if HT is supported on Cubase and research the level of performance through the Cubase forums or contact their support group.

2. Any word of the bulldozer being dual processors like the Xeons? I would love to have dual 8 or dual 6 cores that are NOT server.

-The server version of Bulldozer will be available before the desktop version. Therefore, you can purchase a server motherboard and build a workstation with dual Bulldozer processors. That should be one powerful system for audio production; that's also assuming the CPU's will be clocked high. Plus, it's too hard to tell since their are no LEGITIMATE/Official benchmarks on Bulldozer yet.

3. Are there anything AMD dual processors out there that can compare to the Xeon 12 cores for much much less money?

-The current lineup of AMDs server processors are great in terms of competing with Intel at lower cost and value, but Intel's performance is clearly superior to AMD. From the benchmarks I've seen, AMD is roughly 30%-50% slower than Intel at the same speed using their current generation of processors.

4. I've heard many musicians say that intel machines are better than AMD for extreme multitasking. Can anyone validate that?

-I think they are practically the same when you consider multitasking; however, it really depends on which processor's we're comparing and overall hardware configuration of both platforms.

If the bulldozers have server cpu's, I am thinking dual 8 cores with a processor clocked to at least 4.5, with 40+ gigs of ram will be great. I wouldn't want to spend more than 1500-2000 on a new processor/motherboard.

-Unfortounately, I don't think you'll be able to achieve those speeds on a dual socket motherboard, because in order to facilitate 4.5GHz you would need to overclock the CPUs and I don't know of ANY AMD board that supports overclocking server CPUs. EVGAs SR-2 is the exception, but you won't be seeing and AMD version anytime soon. Plus, based on your specs, I think you would need to increase your budget.

Thanks!

I think you can get by in your music studio with a 4.9GHz Intel Sandy Bridge platform. At 4.9GHz, they perform similar to stock, dual X5650's (2.66GHz), which are 12 cores/24 threads found in Apple MAC PRO workstations. MAC PRO will run you $5000+, while a Sandy Bridge build with 16GB's of RAM will ocst you $1,500 or so. By early next year we should be seeing a new dual socket motherboard from EVGA that will support the new Intel LGA2011 socket; tough it out with what you got and save some money until then. With the next generation of processors from Intel around the corner, I'd just wait. If you can't wait, go with Sandy Bridge today, as it fully supports Ivy Bridge processors (2012) as well.
  2. I've thought long and hard about the sandy bridge, the only problem is that it only handles 16 gigs of ram, and at 4.9 with 8 virtual cores I would at least be able to utilize 24gigs without any bottlenecks.

I didn't know it could be OC'd that much, water cooling?
  3. Actually a 2600K will handle 32 GB RAM according to Intel specs
  4. The AMD X6 would probably give you best bang for buck for heavy multithreading, however it too can "only" handle 32 GBs of RAM. The OP mentions 40+ GB RAM - the only desktop platform that supports that is a high end 1366 mobo.
  5. Sorry what I meant to say is that the 2600 only had 4 slots, and 8gig ram sticks are ridiculously expensive.

AMD 6x 1100t?

I wish bulldozer could fit my mobo.

I'm going to assume all the answers to my questions are no.
  6. markgerazzi said:
    Sorry what I meant to say is that the 2600 only had 4 slots, and 8gig ram sticks are ridiculously expensive.

AMD 6x 1100t?

I wish bulldozer could fit my mobo.

I'm going to assume all the answers to my questions are no.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Still, if you need the most RAM you can get, can't beat the 1366 platform with 6 slots. 6 * 4 = 24 GB for a reasonable price.

Any 6 core AMD should be fine for your purpose. If you have to budget for the most expensive one - which, mind you, is still not that expensive - go for it.

If you buy an AM3+ socket mobo then yes, it will support BD in the future, and it'll take an X6 for now.

I hope that helps.
  7. My MOBO is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

So you're saying I will be able to put an 8 core bulldozer in that eventually?

I'm also reading that bulldozer server chips are being shipped out soon.
    Isn't it possible to have dual 8core bulldozer chips clocked at like 4gz each?

I don't see why not, unless server cpu's are completely different from dual cpu intel xeons provide for regular consumers.
  8. markgerazzi said:
    My MOBO is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

I don't see why not, unless server cpu's are completely different from dual cpu intel xeons provide for regular consumers.

No because thats a AM3, not AM3+. It will not support Bulldozer.

And LGA1155 supports 32GB max, LGA2011 will support more due to quad channel, up to three DIMMs per channel and dual socket.
  9. markgerazzi said:
    My MOBO is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

Xeon is Intels server/workstation grade processors, why look at Xeon and ignore AMD's Opteron line up?
  10. All the AMD opteron processors are like 2.9gz highest, so I would have to overclock it drastically to get it to 4.0.

Not sure if I'm comfortable with OC'ing a music computer I'll need for a while.

Also I don't know what the difference is between the server opterons and the regular dual xeons. Doesn't seem like the server cpu's are made for raw power and music/video encoding.
  11. bump
  12. Bumping will get your thread locked.

Opterons are amd, xeon is intel, they are both server/workstation cpus. The difference is the same vs their regular cpus so will not get into the difference of amd vs intel. Unless you meant regular vs server, then really the only difference worth mentioning is multi cpu configuration support (and ecc ram). (Should note that not all xeons support multi cpu, don't know about opterons)
  13. This topic has been closed by Jaydeejohn
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Music Video Processors Product