Sign in with
Your question

Computer for an Architect/Musician

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2011 11:35:36 PM

Hey everyone,

i want to build a new computer for myself who is both working and studying architecture so need a computer which can sustain everything without any problems. The main programs are all the adobe design suite software, rhino 3d, auto cad, revit, 3ds max etc..

often they have to run at the same time. also i want to use the computer to run music software like protools but probably not at the same time as everything else! Obviously the sound the computer puts out is important.

i really lack any extensive knowledge of computers so any assistance would be appreciated.
But yeah a full computer so any recommendations on the different parts would be awesome.

Thankyou!
a c 138 à CPUs
September 7, 2011 3:23:45 AM

I would like to suggest you the processor which is Certified for AutoCAD 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012, thus you should get Intel i7 SB or i7 990X or you can also have Civil 3D / Revit Workstation specially Certified for AutoCAD 2012, as you’re looking for, and best thing about this is, you’ll get it this workstation under 30k, and no doubt the performance would be also good, as what you are expecting, and to make an impact, you need to give proper commitment.

like i7 + AMD firepro / Nvidia Quadro FX / GTX 580 + Soundcard Audiophile
http://www.cadmasters.com/desktops.asp
m
l
September 7, 2011 3:56:03 PM

Also when getting RAM for the system try stick to higher frequencies and more channels, you want to avoid as many bottleneck possibilities as possible, if you are going to spend within that price range however i shant worry as you pretty much covered all round.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 4:00:32 PM

You'll want the most cores and the most threads, so I'm gonna go with the i7. Probably the 900-series LGA1366 platform, it's more of a workhorse oriented solution. Or if on a tighter budget, AMD X6.
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:15:43 PM

Very true if on the budget side defiantly go for AMD six core makes more sense for your industry as more cores generally equals lower rendering times. =)
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 8:30:32 PM

whats your budget mate?

unless you write music for an orchastra you should be able to get away with an i5 2500 or i7 2600

(you can buy a i5 rig for arround £600)

for good sound you want a good sound card, sorry i dont know much about sound cards so i cant recomend one
m
l
September 8, 2011 9:48:30 AM

Its for Architecture as far as i know, 3 dimensional design i dont think he needs high end audio however with a high specced machine you should get a good onboard audio controller. he needs the processing for rendering so stick higher then lower and if push comes to shove and you need to settle for an i5 or AMD 6 core, rather go AMD six ore will benefit you more in the long run.
m
l
!