shang005

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Hey guy, got a couple of questions I really need an answer to regarding putting together my new system. I've not had to put together a PC for almost 6 years now, so my somewhat limited knowledge of computer components are mostly outdated, from what I've gathered from the net, and based on my budget, this is what I've come to:

AMD system:
MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ <---- For upgrading to new CPU when it releases
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition <----- As recommended for budget build, will only last me until a few month into new AMD CPU release.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) (8-8-8-24) (1.5V) Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 <----- WILL THIS WORK??? 1.5V vs. 1.65V???
Graphics: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 <--- Motherboard spec says PCI-E 2.0. WILL THIS WORK???
Power Supply:OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular <---- Is this enough power for when I buy another HD 6850 for crossfire?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are pretty much my main concerns, I don't really care about the other components since they will be upgraded as time goes by and the choices are pretty generic anyways like case, hd(6gb 1T caviar black), but my main reason for using this set up is because I'm expecting to be able to eventually upgrade to a octa-core AMD with 16GB ram and either SLI or Crossfire. But right now, the biggest concern for me is will this set up work. TOMs used 1.65V Crucial memory for testing the Sabertooth 990FX (Is that the voltage of memory I should be using for this board and why?) And is the power supply sufficient for this build. Any input would be much appreciated, also if there are suggestions on alternatives at similar price, by all means let me know.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
1.5V works fine for RAM.

700W is all you need.

It seems silly to buy a cpu and then buy another in a couple months but it's not my dime :p

PCIe 2.1 is just for making the gpu ready for when PCIe 3.0 comes out. It works fine in PCIe 2.0.

shang005

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I'm planning on using this AM3+ 990FX system for atleast 2-3 years, so no major upgrades except maybe add 8gb ram + a SSD, so the only thing that will be bottlenecking the system would be the CPU, if I get a phenom II 1100, there would really be no incentive for me to upgrade to the bulldozer lines, and thus doesn't even warrent the 990FX board. I think it's the best value for the budget I am running with right now.

I had a Core 2 Duo Lenovo T61P for about 3 years now, it was custom configured with best of option in slot at the time and it has served me well playing games like WoW, running every day office programs and entertainment, I think this PC i'm building will be a huge step up and not make me feel like i'm putting together a e-Machine that "just works".

Any suggestion on alternative memory?? This particular model of Vengeance is cas8 while the rest are all cas9 that are even more expensive, which I'm not quiet sure why... But everything I read online says the lower the cas latency the better.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Keep the cas 8 it is better. They change depending on sales. Looks like you are buying at the right time :p The only problem with vengence is the heat sinks. They are taller and interfere with the HSF on slot 1. So you might want a lower profile ram since you plan on adding 4 sticks instead of just 2.

shang005

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply, and I actually thought about that, but as I am looking at the board, the memory slots go up to the middle not protruding further than the board heat sink in the middle, and the first PCI-Es lot is placed to the right of the heat sink going perpendicular, so what do you mean by it will interfere with the memory due to its oversized heat sink? Also if that is in fact the case, what other memory would you recommend?

I looked at an alternative model which is the Corsair XMS. What's the difference??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145344

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Are you using an aftermarket cooler on your cpu? The fans on the cpu cooler will be on top of slot 1 for your ram, it's a sucky design that a lot of boards have yours included. The ram you linked will also be a tight fit. You can move the fan up higher to accommodate the ram it's just something I wanted you to be aware of.

The difference in the RAM is the voltage. I'd stick with the 1.5V especially when you have 4 sticks.

shang005

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good call, I probably won't go for a aftermarket CPU cooler right now since I plan on upgrading soon after the release of Bulldozer line, and once I get the board set up this way, I will have a much better idea of what exactly to except when I do need to make the adjustments, but thanks a lot for your inputs.