Rampage IV Formula or the evga x79 ftw?

mcmada

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
can decide which is better, what are 100% POSCAP Capacitors? gotta decided quickly before they ship my x79 ftw, i might switch if the rampage is better

mcmada

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
no need for massive amounts of ram, i be using corsair dominator gt 16gb, and will be tri sli, leaning towards rampage formula, extreme might be the best but dont need all features which i will never use. i like the onboard sound on the formula, i got a sound card but its a bit glitchy.

Most all of the 3/4-WAY SLI on LGA 2011/SB-E that I've done were with the R4E and not the R4F. The R4F does offer the SupremeFX onboard sound. The primary reason for the R4E is water blocking the MOBO; both EK & Koolance have kits for the R4E but not the R4F.

IF water is not in the plans then either the R4E, P9X79 WS, R4F ... 3-WAY P9X79 DELUXE or P9X79 PRO and in that order. In the 'big picture' the few bucks more for the R4E is the better option, but I get the SupremeFX onboard sound option.

is watercooling motherboard necessary?

mcmada

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

hmm, was thinking about water cooling but only the cpu and video cards, dont like the blue at all on the p9's, and dont see how the p9 is better than the r4f, dont need more ram, the only benefit i see the extreme over the formula is the waterblocking. for my motherboard this is what i want, tri sli (quad maybe,christmas time), have 4 slots of ram for my CORSAIR DOMINATOR®GT 16GB, overclock my 3930k to 4.4-4.6ghz. why pay more for the extreme when the formula could do this no problem.

If you're going to OC and run the PC hard then just know the VRM and Chipset get hotter than hell -- so yes on any 3/4-WAY R4E I've built the MOBO gets blocked. It's nuts not to cool both especially if water cooling (CPU + GPU(s)). However, blocking the RAM IMO is a total waste.

The Dominator GT are nice but a total waste of money and if you want the GT's then use the R4E; keep everything proportional. I run my i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz and everything gets hot. The R4E adds active cooling to the Chipset, Sabertooth X79 has active cooling on both the Chipset and VRM -- the R4F is 100% passive cooling. IF the VRM or Chipset get too hot then you get instability.

Next unless you're running 3xHD and 3D then there's little (aka no) need for any 3-WAY (2D) much less 4-WAY SLI (2D/3D). The R4E is more than 8xDIMM vs 4xDIMM. IF 3xHD is in the plans then IMO stick with 4GB vRAM which is another place for an argument.

I have a plenty of experience with the SB-E and what folks choose is their business, but you'll be hard-pressed to find many 4-WAY SLI/CF running on the R4F instead the vast majority I've seen are all running off the R4E. I don't know what GPU's you plan run in 3/4-WAY but just make certain there's a full block made for it before purchasing.

Water cooling is in part about heat dissipation, but it's primarily about NOISE reduction and further stability.