barthezz

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys,

hope im posting in the right place :X
I had a 1500W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU, which died on me, i think... (going to do the paper clip test later today after work as i didnt have a paperclip @ home), basically it turns on for a split second, LEDs light up and fans spin for a split second, then it turns off, and hitting the power button doesnt do a thing, unless i kill the power for 5 or 10 secs and then turn it on again, and it does the same thing, i tried it on my other PC, and it does the same thing, so i presume its the PSU that died.

So im out looking for a new PSU now, however i dont want to go for the same PSU again (its been 6 months since i purchased it, the shop i bought it from shut down, and i lost the bill... so cant warranty it), and i dont know if a 1200W PSU will be enough to handle the load, here are my specs:

+ Processor: Intel i7 980x (slight overclock to get the ram up to speed)
- Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
+ Mobo: Gigabyte UD9 (both 4 pin PCI power cables plugged)
+ RAM: 6 x 2GB 2000Mhz Corsair GTs @ 1.6v
+ G.Cards: 4 x Gigabyte 5870 S.O.C. Edition in crossfire x @ PCI-E x16 on all cards
+ Drives:
- 1 x 256GB C300 Crucial SSD
- 2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black 6 Gbps HDD
- 2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black 3 Gbps HDD
+ AOpen Bluray drive
+ Misc:
- 2 x 12" Cathodes
- 4 x 4" Cathodes
- 3 x 200mm Fans with LEDs
- 1 x Ultra Kaze 1200mm fan @3,000 RPM
- Case Cooler Master HAF X

Thanks in advance guys, any help would be appreciated.

Note: i tried the extreme PSU Calculator, but im not sure if the result is correct

I would try contacting TT, you have a serial number on the unit I reckon?
They'll know its not that old and may arrange something for you, wouldn't hurt to try
the paperclip test will only work to show you it powers up though, not any load on it, try removing some stuff and see if it handles that ok,
ps, you have a 1.2metre fan? awesome!!
**1 x Ultra Kaze 1200mm fan @3,000 RPM **
:p
Moto

barthezz

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
lol @Moto, ya its the thing thats drawing most of the power XD lol, sorry for the typo lol.

problem is i cant locate the TT dealer, closest i got was Kuwait (i live in the UAE) so its in a different country T_T, and even then, idk if it failed cuz it couldnt handle the loads ( been doing alot of wicher 2 FTW recently -_-), so i might need to do a dual 800 or 1000W PSU setup (which might be cheaper or almost the same price as a single 1.5KW PSU here).

i tried to run the Mobo alone with the processor, and same thing issue, also as i mentioned above, hooked it to my old PC with a HD5770 and a Q6600, and it kept showing similar results, which led me to that conclusion.

according to extreme PSU calc 2.5 my system need 989W? but didnt have all the options i needed, so probably more, and Newegg calc showed i need 1450W+ (and that highest RAM goes was 4 shticks -_-) so im not sure anymore...

If you've investigated to that degree already, I'd agree its deffo the psu, I wouldn't go down the dual psu route though, more problems are to be had that way,
I use the thermaltake psu calc myself but I'd look at skimming down on the extra drives,lights etc see what you can get it to handle
Moto