I'm About to Give Up

saevrin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello, everyone. First off I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Collin, and I've been visiting this site for quite a while (because it's absolutely incredible). I don't know why I never made an account before, but it dawned on me that I should recently (probably because I've been having so many issues lately.)

Last October, I bought my first "gaming" desktop. Considering the fact that I didn't have half as much knowledge about computers as I do now, it was, in the beginning, a shot in the dark. The computer worked perfectly, but, me being me, I wanted to upgrade. I bought an AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition (which I still have and use today), and after a few minor setbacks and poor judgments (hey, we learn from our mistakes), I was up an running on a new power supply, motherboard and CPU. Everything was going great, and then the problems began.

The motherboard I bought was an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, and it was a great board. It had lots of features, great cooling, and just all-around awesome functionality. It worked well for about four months, but then I started to get blue screens, crashes, the works. My hard drive failed, the motherboard started to go, and, needless to say, I went without a stable computer for months.

After I finally got the money to buy a new hard drive and motherboard (I also bought a new graphics card and 4GB of RAM), everything was working fine. I was able to run games on more-than-pleasing settings (because before my 9500 GT wasn't the best thing in the world), the computer ran cool and quick, and it finally seemed like things were going to start working again. I basically had rebuilt my whole computer; case, power supply, motherboard and all. The only original part from my previous build was my processor. (Which it would probably help to mention that throughout all of this, the pins on this CPU bent quite a bit. I was able to get them back, but I know that can still cause problems.) I was wrong, obviously, and am having quite a few issues, again.

The first problem, the one that bothers me the most, is the fact that my CPU and motherboard have a terrible tendency to overheat, even on low usage. Right now I'm using about 10% of my CPU, and both my motherboard and processor are hitting 50+ and 52+ degrees (Celsius), respectively. This problem came out of the blue, completely. I have 4 cases in my fan, 2 of which are pointed directly at my motherboard and processor. They blow cool air, and I can feel that my PC is getting a good airflow, considering my graphics card and hard drive never run above 45 and 35 degrees (Celsius, and also respectively.)

On top of all this, I encounter the occasional (which it hasn't happened in a while) blue screen or random restart. Programs crash, stop responding, etc. (I've just had to ignore the fact that an error popped up about the Desktop Windows Manager a few times, so it's really random.) The computer gets really slow (although boot up has been a bit quicker lately), updates fail, and I honestly think the CPU is going, but I'm not sure. (I'm really hoping it is, because I just got this motherboard, but since both are overheating, I don't know.)

My drivers stop responding too, when I'm playing a certain game (often Minecraft), and have to be recovered. This is another thing that bothers me, and makes me think I have a faulty motherboard (hopefully CPU, and less probably GPU), because my GPU never overheats. Even on hardware intensive games, it's fine. It's just the CPU and the motherboard.

Anyways, my whole point of this thread is I'm asking for guidance in regards to what to try next. I've reinstalled Windows and drivers multiple times, reapplied thermal compound to my CPU, reseated the heatsink, replaced multiple components, basically everything I can think of that doesn't require getting rid of my newest components and getting new ones.

I'm really hoping it's my CPU, and not my motherboard, but I don't know if a faulty CPU can cause a motherboard to overheat. I've considered just selling what "works" in my computer and buying a laptop or something, but I decided I want to know what the issue is, and hopefully fix it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Here are my full system specifications, I can provide other information if needed:

Case: Rosewill FUTURE

PSU: Rosewill 700W

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB 6GB/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache

Thanks again!

1. Fix position Hardware : remove Power AC from PSU , unplug all connection cable from PSU to motherboard, remove RAM and clean slot ram and Ram stick , put it again and sure secure properly. double check all connection include Keyboard and mouse, try turn on PC, go safe mode, restart again.

2. check with software :
- First Test your Ram with memtest86+
- Scan HDD/ fix partition
- Uninstal driver / and reinstall driver : Sound, VGA
- fix registry use software registry cleaner

3. if still problem try install Clean OS

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
My first question would be, is the system overclocked at all? If so, reset to stock and check your temps. What program are you using to get your temps? The other thing I noticed, is you never mention changing the power supply. It appears to be the common thread with your issues, and a faulty power supply could damage all components.

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Maybe its not your computer maybe its your Power source from your wall outlet. You could be getting random spikes that are over volting and shorting stuff out. A surge protector can help, but getting a dedicated UPS will get rid of the spikes and protect you in case of power outages.

saevrin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
@henydiah: Those will definitely be my next steps, thank you. If I do find the error, I will fix it and reinstall Windows, again.

@Puff3r: No, nothing is overclocked. I've even underclocked my processor, and gotten the same results as if it were at its normal power usage. I use HWMonitor, and Speccy.

I will try to change my power supply, as well. If it is the problem, I will send the old one back for a replacement. Thanks a lot for the input.

@jsc: Fortunately, it seems I have placed something correctly. And thank you for that clarification, as I was doubting my instincts. xD I don't have top or back fans, which would probably help, so I'll have to pick some up.

@Vigilante212: My computer is connected to a surge protector, already, but I will try to use a different outlet/protector to see if that still may be the issue, thank you!

Thank you everyone for your input and help. I will do the things you've recommended and post results when I am able. :)

saevrin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It turned out to be my memory, like henydiah suggested, but it was because of my own stupidity. I've reseated my RAM in the CORRECT slots, and now everything works fine. Thank you everyone! Sorry for wasting your time. D: