Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard suggestion

Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2012 5:59:17 AM

hi guy anyone have any suggestion for a motherboard for i3550. since this is my first time trying to build a computer i dont know which brand is good which is not. if possible i like to spend below $100

More about : motherboard suggestion

a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 6:22:44 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a good board and it's under $100. However, it does not support CF and SLI. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you, but you're looking for a very low price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If less than $130 is okay, then this is a much better purchase. You really shouldn't skimp on components unless you truly can't afford to not skimp. Skimping on some components can cause problems later on or depending on the component, much sooner. Although the cheap board that I've listed shouldn't have any quality problems like most boards in it's budget range, it's still limited in upgrading capability by not having CF/SLI compatibility.
Score
May 27, 2012 6:42:17 AM

thx for the suggestion, but i dont plan to CF or overclock at all. So i think the biostar one is better for me?
Score
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 6:44:12 AM

unknown88 said:
hi guy anyone have any suggestion for a motherboard for i3550. since this is my first time trying to build a computer i dont know which brand is good which is not. if possible i like to spend below $100

Do u live near Microcenter?
Score
May 27, 2012 6:45:56 AM

nope
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 4:46:55 PM

unknown88 said:
thx for the suggestion, but i dont plan to CF or overclock at all. So i think the biostar one is better for me?

CF/SLI support is better for future-proofing because although you almost certainly won't do it now, you can do it in the future when a single card isn't enough anymore. Having support for CF/SLI now so you can upgrade your graphics without wasting the card that you buy now makes future upgrades cheaper because if you want almost double the performance, you can just get a second cheap card instead of a more expensive card to replace your current one. Considering that your CPU doesn't support anything more than moderate overclocks if it's the i5-3550 like your first post implies (you said i3550, so I assume that you meant the the i5-3550, please correct me if I'm wrong) and you seem against multiple graphics cards, the cheaper board should suffice. Just make sure that you don't buy a PSU just because it's cheap like the motherboard. Most cheap PSUs, unlike many cheap motherboards, are very unreliable, so you need to be more careful with them.
Score
May 28, 2012 1:11:48 AM

is it better off getting h77 motherboard since i am not going to overclock?
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2012 2:24:51 AM

unknown88 said:
is it better off getting h77 motherboard since i am not going to overclock?

If you're not going to overclock, then it would only make a difference if the H77 is cheaper and not worse quality. I know that there are good ones, but a lot of the H series motherboards simply suck because the manufacturers know that most people buying them wouldn't be able to know the difference until they have a few blown capacitors. I'll take a look at newegg's H77 boards, but I'm not sure of finding one for under $100 that meets the Biostar board that I suggested in reliability, let alone beats it. Motherboards that are capable of overclocking aren't only bought because of that capability, even among non-overclockers.

EDIT: I just checked, and this is the cheapest H77 board that I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

It's only $5 cheaper than the BioStar Z77 board that I recommended. Going down from the Biostar to this board is not worth it, especially if you consider the fact that if you use the MIR on the Biostar, it is $5 cheaper than this H77 board. If you want to check for yourself, here is the page that I used on newegg to look for the H77 boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
May 28, 2012 6:01:18 AM

Best answer selected by unknown88.
Score
May 28, 2012 6:01:34 AM

thx for all the help
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2012 6:50:33 AM

unknown88 said:
thx for all the help

You're welcome.
Score