Using drives as mount points during install

rmthdr

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hello,

I've done searches for this on the internet and haven't come up with anything and its quite long...

I have access to a spare HW raid card (Dell Perc 6) and was going to use it to build a RAID 5 with 3 or 4 drives.

At work we have built a linux dev server with the OS on an SSD and the project directories mounted on a RAID 5 volume with standard drives. The idea being the OS will boot stupid quick, there is not a lot of data being written to the OS drive and any file access will be quick.

So with this in mind, my idea is to install Windows 7 with a similar setup with "Users", "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on the RAID with Windows on the SSD.

I have done a proof of concept with XP in Virtual Box by using BartPE to create, format, etc. and mount a second partition as "c:\Program Files" and then install XP from a retail disk. The XP install went flawless and it all seems to work.

Is this a viable solution? The idea is to keep cost down and speed up and booting of an SSD is known to be rather quick.

Thanks

John