Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacement for a 1055T

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 6:49:31 AM

So after 18 months (or so) of service and a change in lifestyle I think it's time for a CPU change. Currently I have a 1055T based system and it's running fine. I did have it overclocked to 4 GHz for strictly benchmarking reasons for a short time, but I normally run it stock. Well, I've stopped doing what I was doing that required more CPU cores and caring less about overall speed (video encoding with 6 cores is pretty fast, overclocked or stock) but I have grown away from that. Now a days I mostly game, and save from a few choice Xbox 360 games, I do most of my stuff on my computer.

Now this will be on a budget. I need to keep my motherboard, ram, video card, psu, hdd's and cooling all the same. I was wondering what the average overclock for something like a PII X4 955 is? I've become so used to a slow and uninspiring 2.8 GHz (or 3.3 Ghz with Turbo, which is almost never engaged) for a while now (I would say a year) and I want to let loose and game at over 3.4 GHz (bearing in mind I know the stock speed is only 3.2 GHz, but squeezing an extra 200 Mhz is very very easy on black editions.) I do, on occasion use a virtualbox for work related activities (and for a long time I convinced myself my 6 core was of value for that reason alone.) But the truth is, it's not a deal breaker.

I really wanted to go Sandy Bridge or even socket 2011 but there isn't the budget for that. And frankly it's overkill for something I'll spend maybe 20 hours a week on. So, having said all that, what shall it be boys and girls? 955 BE or what? I should note that I will be swapping my cases while I upgrade the CPU. For a long time I ran a Corsair H50 and it was good. But my rather limiting case (antec P193) has a very narrow clearance and only one tri-cool acting as a air intake while overclocking the CPU was... not the best sight. I have on it now a Scythe Raesetsu cooler and I am happier with it. But I will be migrating over to an Antec 200 case just because I have one sitting around.

So, again, what shall it be? After all is said and done I will be selling off the CPU and probably the case for a couple hundred bucks, but that won't be used on any more PC stuff (maybe a nice 6950 down the road. :D  ) but not right away. Idea's?

More about : replacement 1055t

September 7, 2011 6:50:22 AM

Vote for Phenom 2 X4 955 BE
Score
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 7:15:35 AM

Totally agreed; the 955 BE will your best bet. With decent cooling and a unlocked multiplier you can easily hit 3.8 to 4.0GHz.
Score
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
September 7, 2011 7:31:25 AM

or just keep like my mine and wait Bulldozer
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 7:53:39 AM

Bulldozer isn't an option. I don't expect a BIOS update for my board to let it utilize the newer chips. And my board is AM3, not 3+ so I would be missing out on some key features (I believe 3+ has better power management and some other details.)
Score
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 9:26:29 AM

I don't understand. You say your X6 is running fine. Why downgrade to a lower processor? If you don't have one, use $50 on a decent CPU cooler and OC the **** out of your Thuban. It should at least match the performance of the 955 in most titles. Seems like a waste of money to replace it now.
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
September 7, 2011 9:43:44 AM

+1 stay where you are.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 6:27:31 PM

6 Cores aren't designed for gaming. They are more useful for rendering and encryption/decryption and heavy VM stuff. Staying put is not an option and neither is overclocking it to 4 GHz. Even with great cooling and on an open bench it still hit too high of a temp for comfort (about 57 C).
Score
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2011 7:23:28 PM

Eh, that limitation is not in the CPU, it's in your head.
Score
a c 117 à CPUs
September 7, 2011 8:04:32 PM

I'd at least wait a few weeks and see if BD-Z drops prices any. And I suspect you could disable 2 cores and run 14x240MHz without breaking a sweat (set your RAMs to 1333MHz) - probably even take all six cores there. Just keep your HT as close to 2000MHz as possible.

AND, with good cooling, 14x280MHz is certainly within reach, especially with 4 cores. Drop your memory to 1066 (5.33x280MHz=1492MHz). Might want to drop back the IMC/NB multi to x9 and raise the NB volts to 1.25v or so until yah see how she goes.

I understand there are a lot of revisions to that motherboard but anything V2.0 and up on the GB web site has an AM3+ logo on it ...

[:crutchizm]

Score

Best solution

a c 150 à CPUs
September 9, 2011 12:27:42 AM

You sound like someone who wants to change just for the sake of change...
What you want is almost exactly what you say you want. the only thing that a BE gets you is easy overclocking so that's what must be scaring you. Move your system to the other case, overclock it, and pocket that $130 bucks.
September 9, 2011 5:01:54 AM

yeah not worth it to change unless going bd, just oc that little bee-otch
Score
a c 89 à CPUs
September 9, 2011 5:06:11 AM

Quote:
6 Cores aren't designed for gaming. They are more useful for rendering and encryption/decryption and heavy VM stuff. Staying put is not an option and neither is overclocking it to 4 GHz. Even with great cooling and on an open bench it still hit too high of a temp for comfort (about 57 C).

57 is quite low under load. I say just buy a better cooler and use your current CPU. You will have to do that if you want to OC a 955 anyway.......
there are some games which show a slight advantage from 6 cores, i would only expect more games to in the future.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 8:08:02 AM

Wisecracker said:
I'd at least wait a few weeks and see if BD-Z drops prices any. And I suspect you could disable 2 cores and run 14x240MHz without breaking a sweat (set your RAMs to 1333MHz) - probably even take all six cores there. Just keep your HT as close to 2000MHz as possible.

AND, with good cooling, 14x280MHz is certainly within reach, especially with 4 cores. Drop your memory to 1066 (5.33x280MHz=1492MHz). Might want to drop back the IMC/NB multi to x9 and raise the NB volts to 1.25v or so until yah see how she goes.

I understand there are a lot of revisions to that motherboard but anything V2.0 and up on the GB web site has an AM3+ logo on it ...

[:crutchizm]

Mine's V 1.0, sadly.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 8:19:43 AM

Quote:
Thubans are known for underreporting temps by about 10 degrees.

Agree with pretty much everyone on this thread. Upgrade your cooler if you must and overclock that thing to high heaven. I mean, how much were you going to sell it on ebay for anyway? If you really want performance, buy a NH-D14 or similar, crank that voltage to a level that will make some of the more squeamish members here faint, and screw longevity. If it burns in 2 months, hell, you were gonna upgrade anyway.

edit * not sure about thubans since I don't own one, but as long as you stay under your TJMax temp you will be fine. There's a lower recommended temp (intel calls it TCase) which on my 2600K is 72.6 Celsius. This is the temp you want to stay below if you really need that cpu to last longer than a couple of years. But like I said, for you, crank the voltage, put a monster heatsink on (which you can reuse later when you REALLY upgrade) and overclock that thing till it hits 89 degrees.

57 is way too hot on a 6 core. The core temp limit is 62. I know for a very long time there was a dispute regarding socket temp (what is listed usually as temp1 on HWMonitor) vs Core Temp. In the end I came to the same conclusion as a vast majority of AMD OC'ers out there that the core temp is the one you want to watch, as TMP1 is a socket temp, and the temp sensor location can vary from model to model. So I watch the core temps. With Intel's, it's the other way around. Also I know that there is on my board a 8 C difference between socket and core temp. Some vary between 8-10 C. But it's also known that most CPU's (intel or Amd) temp sensors are very inaccurate when not under load. Get 'em hot, above 55, and the core temp and socket temps line up pretty close.

I use a Scythe Raesetsu, which has proven to be a very good cooler. I won't run a Noctua because I use ram with tall heat spreaders and they are no longer made. And I think they are over priced and what I have is pretty good (at least to me, and in this instance that is all that matters.) And the Shin Etsu paste I used (X23-7783D) is damn good stuff too. Better than arctic silver 5 or any of that jazz, anyhow.

I've decided to stay put for now. As mentioned before we'll see in Bulldozer causes a price drop. If it does, I will just upgrade my motherboard (I am thinking the Asus Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt) and rock this little cpu till it dies. I might even re-use my old H50 and throw 2 tri-cools on it and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas boys and girls.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 6:29:10 PM

Best answer selected by greeneman510.
Score
a c 89 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 11:20:02 PM

so you would spend over $300 on a crosshair motherboard just to overclock the CPU a little more?
Score
a c 117 à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:25:33 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
so you would spend over $300 on a crosshair motherboard just to overclock the CPU a little more?

Quote:
yes he would, because intel is "overpriced" lmao

Unlike Intel, the OP has over 100 CPUs which are compatible with his current motherboard, and his current CPU will move forward to the Asus Crosshair V, along with his memory.

There are no guarantees in life, but his assumption that his Thuban would over-clock higher on an AM3+ motherboard is generally safe due to electrical improvements and better Turbo on the 990FX AM3+.

The other advantage of moving forward is, of course, full support for the complete line of Bulldozer Zambezi, and future models which do not include a SIMD engine array on the CPU die.

Otherwise, unlike Intel fanboys who change their motherboards as often as they change their drawers, the OP has a multitude of affordable possible future options with either motherboard.

Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 10:50:20 PM

Quote:
yes he would, because intel is "overpriced" lmao

Just wondering, who are you quoting with the "'overpriced'" bit?
Score
!