Is my second HD 5770 working

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hey everyone, I just got in my second HD 5770 and got it hooked up and CCC says it is crossfired, the box is checked, but when I plug in my HDMI I get no display out of it. Also when I run Nova benchmark, the frame rate is half of what it was when I had a single card. How can I test that this new card is working properly. In device manager it only shows as one HD 5770, and in CCC it only shows one also. The fan is turning so I know I got power. I just upgraded to Antecs NEW Truepower 750w for this extra card. So that should be plenty of power for it. Am I missing some switch to flip or box to check? I am at a loss and have read everything on Toms I could find, but no one had this specific problem. So how do I turn it on or is it bad? :pfff:

Solution

WTF are you talking about? What exactly did I tell him that was BS. I specifically said to him that 16/4 would be slower then 16/16 or 8/8. I told him that regardless of that, his was performing faster then mine, based upon his Vantage score at least, but mainly due to his cpu being clocked A LOT higher and being a Phenom. I didn't comment on any other game, because he posted no other test. I pointed him to the right driver page to get updated drivers, told him not every game will work with Crossfire, and to swap to single card mode when he comes across a game that doesn't. I said he doesn't need you ragging on him for using a game pad either, yeah, all of it, all BS, yeah... Seriously, if...

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I went to ATI site and downloaded the newest CCC and it found the other card and shows up everywhere, but I am not getting any faster frame rates using Novabench. Should I try a different benchmark program? Which one? I am using my HDTV through HDMI as my monitor in the living room and have everything else wireless so I can keep the computer in my spare bedroom. I just want to make sure that adding another card did indeed ramp up my frame rate with all the settings as high as they will go. So what test is the best? And should I overclock the cards? I have my CPU running at 4 GHz overclocked and running fine. Being at 1080p only, should I even think of overclocking the cards? I do not have any games yet, but built it to play any game I want. Tired of the prices of PS3 games. Got to pay for this build before I can buy the games.

Kari

Splendid
I was going to suggest to download Fraps (www.fraps.com) and run a game, but if you dont have any yet the next bet would be 3dmark06 or 11 (the vantage (09?) version isn't that great but they did release a better free version of it some time ago. newer than 06 limited the times you could run it on the free version)
3dmark scales well with extra gpus so it would be easy to see the difference between 1 or 2. http://www.futuremark.com/

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I am downloading the 3dmark Vantage now and will let you know the score after it loads and I run it. Maybe you can give me an idea of what it whould be with both 5770 working. BTW, thanks for helping me.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Here are the scores 3DMark Advantage gave me when I ran it.
3DMark Score16023.52 3DMarks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics Score17590.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Score12643.62

Jane Nash54.03 FPS

New Calico48.94 FPS

AI Test1623.86 operations/s

Physics Test19.91 operations/s

So, am I getting the most bang for my buck, lol, many bucks! I had to turn down my overclocked CPU to 3.7GHz to run the whole thing. It was not very stable at 4.0. I still have some tinkering to do to get that stable. So it comes down to, is P16023 a good score?

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
That score looks good over all. Its actually a tad higher then the score I get on Vantage on my 5770 Crossfire setup, but then again, you're overclocking your cpu too. It also helps too if you can bench test a few games that are known to run solid in Crossfire with fraps. Dirt 2, Alien versus Predator, Dawn of War 2, and Resident Evil 5 are a few I can think of right off the bat that you can try. Honestly too though, it helps to know what your full system specs are, and what OS and Catalyst driver versions you are running before people can help you further.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Lets save the AMD&Crossfire debate n'hate for another day, as its not going to help here. Thanks.

pjmoses, I will send you a few score sets here in a few mins via pm.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
OK, I have a ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO usb3.0 mobo w/bios 1701, 2 Kingston 4 Gb ram 1333Mhz OC'ed 1600Mhz, Noctua NH-D14l CPU cooler, 2 Combo drives, a Toshiba 2 TB 6.0 hd, a Seagate 500 Gb hd, and some other 350 hd, AMD Phenom II 965 OC'ed now to just 3.75GHz, a multi card reader, and a NEW Truepower Antec 750w PSU, all shoved in a mid-tower Smilodon case. I had to remove all the fans on the case and got some high RPM high CFM fans for push pull that are very loud, but keeps everything very cool. I will get a full size next time because the Noctua takes up most of the inside of the case. My driver version on my HD 5770's is 8.831.2.0. I got all this for under $850 over a months time piecing it together when stuff I needed was on sale and/or had a rebate.
Now I know enough to know I have a smoking mobo and CPU for the price. I can get it up to 4.0GHz, but it is sometimes not to stable running heavy benchmarks. But I do not seem to get the advantage of 6.0 HD speed like I should. I was told it would be close to a SSD in speed and it barely hits 150Mbs a second. Also, this is my first build from scratch with all new parts so this is a learning experence for me. WHOOO, XanaX kickiing in.
I built this over an Intel format because of the cost and ability to adjust just about everything using AMD and ATI stuff. Also when I run the benchmark on AMD overdrive, I get reading all over the place, from about 10,000 to 8500. That is without changing a thing. So I do not depend on that program.

Well, is that enough info for a few insites as to what I should do and if both cards are working properly @ (805 Mhz GPU clock and 1250 MHz memory clock).
Also why does it show at the bottom of CCC current values @157MHz gpu and memory at 300Mhz? Could that be the onboard ATI 4850? Also when I try the CCC Test custom clocks it always says failed, even at lowest settings. Just forgot to add I am running Windows 7 Signature edition with every bell and whistle 64bit.

just trying to save the op from a 1000 headaches down the road the word needs to get out there whether you believe me or not...

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I went with what I got for the simple fact it is future prof. USB 3.0 ready, Harddrive 6.0 ready. Plenty of usb headers and dual PCIe card crossfire ready. My only downfall is the onboard graphics that I did not need because I thought they were fast enough to run games. I was very mistaken as the HD 4850 onboard is very slow. Been looking at others that have crossfired these cards and they out preform even the HD 5850 by itself for quite a nice price. So I think I have made wise dicissions with my money. I have STALKER and Far Cry, but I can not and will not play using keyboard and mouse as I am always looking at the keyboard to check proper key stroke. My games must be able to play using XBox 360 controller. I have heard all I need to hear about KB and mouse are superior to everything. I do not care. I want a game pad to use that I know by heart, without having to look. So I built a computer around that. Still waiting on the Xbox pc adapter for wireless. I have my PS3 controls for some games. It is fustrating mapping out keys and mouse emulation programs, but well worth it.

^if you will not play with kboard and mouse then what the hell is the point of pc gaming, sorry buddy if that is the case, you should just stick to console gaming.

FPS, MMO, RPG, RTS, and hell even just cause 2 and batman aa is just plain better with a keyboard and mouse. If you want to play competetively online with a controller vs kboard mouse you will get smoked!

Im sorry but I use an xbox controller for a few games such as nba 2k11 and racing games but for almost everything else imho the kboard and mouse is far superior..

I think it would be worth it to invest in a nice kboard mouse and mouse pad and maybe that will elevate your performance or at least make you want to learn it.

Bottom line is there is no true pc gaming that will agree with you using the controller and your primary control for fps...

I know you said you heard all you need to hear but I would seriously consider changing your tune or sticking to a console...

Personally I would seriously consider tryingn to learn how to use a good keyboard and mouse setup, it is worth it...

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

The 157MHz gpu and memory @ 300Mhz is the cards clocking down to save power during normal Windows use. On your motherboard, the second pci-e port is a 4X port, so your Crossfire performance may not be as fast as others who use a 16/16 or 8/8 configuration with a similar clocked cpu. Some games will have issues with Crossfire, so you will have to manually shut it off by unchecking its box when you plan to play said game, otherwise your performance will suffer. Also, Crossfire has issues working in Windows XP too on a lot of stuff, but your safe as far as Vista and Win 7 goes. As far as my current test scores go, yours will be higher then mine, even with you running 16/4 Crossfire, because your cpu is a Phenom clocked quite a bit higher then my Athlon X4 running at 2.9ghz. Honestly your Vantage score looks fine in fact, and as for total system specs, even in single card mode you should be able to run any current game out there well enough depending on what res you want to use. Typically when a game runs in Crossfire fine, the performance of two HD 5770 cards can equal or exceed one HD 5870. Just be mindful that not every game, even when the headliner titles are concerned, will support Crossfire.

As for driver version, what we meant was, are you running Catalyst 11.1, 11.2, etc. The current release on AMD's site is 11.3 which can be found here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Also make sure to install the Catalyst Application Profiles pack after installing the drivers. Usually there is a new release of it for every new driver release. You can grab the current one here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

As for a few of my current test scores:

Resident Evil 5 Crossfire test 1920x1080 with details all set to high, 4x AA, and motion blur turned on:
RE5DX102011-03-3014-32-56-52.jpg

Vantage single card default test 1280x1024:
singlecardtest.png

Vantage Crossfire default test 1280x1024:
crossfiretest.png

^+1 agreed yeah a 4x will actually hurt you a little bit but it shouldnt be too much with a 5770, that could single handedly be the root of your "not so great" performance result with 5770 crossfire, then again its probably not worth getting a new mobo, I would sell both 5770s and get a single powerful card such as a 6950 or greater

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I just like the feel of pushing the joystick and going forward and pulling on it to go backwards. Moving it from side to side to move in that direction and aiming with the other joystick. After I get a few games I will try it the keyboard and mouse way, but I have never been good at remembering the keys and functions as easily as the game pad is. Not knocking it, just hard to change over is all.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I have it set up to use the PS3 gamepad and the Xbox 360 pad.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
@ jjb8675309
There are plenty of people out there who do enjoy using game pads for FPS, and when a game hits that doesn't support it, I usually see complaints made on the publishers site in the games dedicated forum section. Not everyone who games on pc just plays mostly FPS or RTS anyway for that matter, and wtf does it matter to you how he likes to play the stuff. It's his preference, and doesn't require a rant from you implying he isn't a "true pc gamer", like he has to meet your standard or some crap in order to qualify. Unless you are currently using a Crossfire platform, and are able to help him address his current issues constructively, why post other then to troll this thread? This is a thread to help resolve his CURRENT CROSSFIRE ISSUE, nothing more. Doesn't need AMD or Crossfire bashing, suggestions that he sell both his cards and buy a single card, nor gamepad bashing. Thanx :)

thats cool, I hear you about being hard to change but im telling you it wil be worth it, but I would start with getting a nice mouse and keyboard, I have a razer deathadder and a giant ripper x trac mouse pad its awesome, havent upgraded my keyboard from a standard 10 dollar one yet but the mosue and mousepad alone has casued my kill/death ratio to go way up in bfbc2 for example.

but concerning your system

"the 4x will actually hurt you a little bit but it shouldnt be too much with a 5770, that could single handedly be the root of your "not so great" performance result with 5770 crossfire, then again its probably not worth getting a new mobo, I would sell both 5770s and get a single powerful card such as a 6950 or greater"

sorry if you already read this but that is what id do

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Do you have to pay for it to see your results without going online? I like the benchmark test of 3dmark Advantage and the details of everything, but going online to see results luck. Is there away around it? Because my results do not show up in the results box like above.

thats your opinion, he can use whatever controller he wants I was just sharing my viewpoint, don't cry, and yeah I just went from crossfire 6870s and haven't looked back (not worth getting into obviously with you) , he should sell the cards and get a single solution, my 2 cents if you disagree im sorry. The OP might not know it but im sure he will learn to value minmum fps (which the 5770s suffer from badly) over a crossfire setup not to mention that 16X 4X is not going to cut it so what is your point?

as far as gamepads go I have a wired xbox 360 controller, the OP can do whatever he pleases Im just making a point that he should try it out and see if he can adapt to it before writing it off so quickly, either way I could care less

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Since you have not offered any solid advice as for solving his current Crossfire issue, aside from the useless crap you said above that does not actually help him improve his Crossfire performance, and could care less, then hey, don't post. You are honestly not helping, and the guy didn't ask for your opinion, he is seeking help.Thanks.