Single MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II OC and ANTEC TP-750

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hey,

does anybody have experience running this card (or a similar 580GTX) on the specified PSU ?

My new system, delivered last week, is running it and although it runs fine performance wise, I have an annoying crackling sound coming from either the GPU or the PSU when in gaming mode (meaning the GPU drawing 40A). Same result when testing with afterburner/kombustor.

I haven't been able to determine which of the two produces the sound.

The GPU requires 40A, my PSU has 4 +12V rails with a max of 25A per rail. However, the two power connectors on the 580GTX are feeded by two power cords on different rails. Checked and double checked :)

Tried with modular cables changing to even other rails, doesn't help.

So is anybody running a similar setup having the same issue. Do I need a better PSU ? These are the PSU's available at my vendor: http://www.tones.be/shop_producten.php?cat=490 (prices are in Euro)

Which one would you recommend ?

Or is it tough luck with the GPU and should I RMA it ?

Thanks for the input.

Full specs (currently not OC'd, but might in the future):

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3
INTEL I7-2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
NOCTUA NH-C14
CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2X4GB) 1600MHZ DDR3 VENGEANCE
MSI N580GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC 1536MB DDR5 GTX580
OS Drive -> WD 600GB Velociraptor
Data Drives -> 2x WD 1TB Caviar Black
LIAN-LI PC-9F
ANTEC TP-750

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

Yesterday evening I connected the power cable of my PC to a current and power monitoring device, and under full load in a recent game, it drew only max 380W. So I think indeed I'm good on the PSU side.

I will go to my vendor tomorrow with the system, and we'll try to diagnose what the problem is.

Factor in the efficiency of the psu and you're looking at less than a 50% load on the psu, definitely good on the wattage, but it could still be a faulty unit.
Good luck with the diagnoses.

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Ok, as said, went for a diagnoses to the store tonight.

Turned out it was the PSU after all. Whether due to it being inadequate for the system, or just a faulty unit, that's unknown... Anyway it got replaced with a Corsair HX-750 now and runs like a charm :)