System specifik latency vs. frequency (AMD/Intel)

qnoppers

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Ultimately, I wanna figure out which RAM to buy, but it's proving to be a challenge.

After reading this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/299012-12-latency-speed and an excellent answer by mrmaia, along with reading around the web, I've found that it seems the speed of a RAM block can be estimated by the ratio between latency and frequency. But I am wondering, is there more to it?
I read somewhere though, that the CPU is important (as well as the motherboard). Some people say that AMD needs low latencies and Intel needs high frequencies, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

I have narrowed it down to 3 options, which are priced almost the same. All are 2x4 GB kits. I have to buy them from a specific vendor, so these are the options (well, there are Corsair Vengeances as well).

Corsair Dominator GT 1866Mhz (PC3-15000) @ CL 9-10-9-27 = 123 $
Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz (PC3-12800) @ CL 8-8-8-24 = 120 $
Mushkin Redline 1600 Mhz (PC3-12800) @ CL 7-9-8-24 = 125 $

So what would be the faster/better RAM? I do not intend to do much overclocking, but it is a factor.

My mobo and CPU:
Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3 890GX AM3 ATX
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BE 3.4GHZ 6MB SOCKET AM3

Thanks

nna2

Distinguished
with my phenom chip, i cant get much overclock past 1600MHz, so i would suggest getting the redline ram since it has the lowest latencies, then just going into the bios, and raising the ram to 1600MHz (it will default to 1333) and looking over the timings+volts

D

Deleted member 217926

Why exactly do you have to overpay $75-$80 for 8GB of RAM?? DDR3 has not been that expensive for over a year. No way I would pay that.

Your Phenom II will benefit from the higher throughput provided by the DDR3 1866. New Intel builds do not benefit much at all from RAM faster than DDR3 1600. The integrated memory controller just does not need anything faster. AMD build do better with the fastest stuff you can get, at least that is supported. It will depend on your motherboard. Check and make sure as to what is supported.

Seriously though you can get 8GB of fully buffered ECC RAM for that price. Absolute ripoff unless you are in somewhere so remote they have to make a special flight to bring it in.