Sign in with
Your question

Would you pay in advance for a game you had yet to see ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 12:49:37 PM

Basically we had a discussion earlier today at work and the question of consoles holding back PC gaming came up.
The upshot was this.
Would you pay a game developing house before time to make a game if they promised to develop it properly, DX11 from the ground up etc ?

Mactronix :) 

More about : pay advance game

a c 236 U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 3:57:10 PM

excellent question. several issues or more questions come up though. full price or deposit? how long prior to launch do i put my money? do I get interest on this deposit or a decent discount on this deposit? if you ask for $40 now but the game launches in 2015 then...? what happens if the game fails to launch in its window? what happens if the developer folds?

outside of an indy developer with a basic game (minecraft, angry birds) I just don't see it as a viable business model since launching across multi-platforms will still generate more revenue.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 7:52:56 PM

We thought about this and decided the best bet from a business stand point would be for someone say EA for arguments sake to offer something along these lines.

I must admit to having no idea of time frames here so it may well all be a non starter but the thinking was something like this.

You give $/£ 5-10 now and get an assurance that you get regular updates or playable demo's.
Once you get proof/assurances that its going along nicely and you have had updates or a demo, which would probably be later in the process im guessing, then you pay a second amount.
So on and so forth, i mean the details are not important its just a concept really.

But the main thing from the consumer/investors point of view is they either get a really good game at the end of it which they get either free or at a huge discount. Also they were part of it, i really think people would take the chance just to be able to say they were in it from the start. Maybe you would get DLC at a later date at a discount or free ? There are plenty of options.

If the developer folds ? well EA wouldn't would they ? I would take the gamble on a big well known name but probably not a small operation.
If the game didn't launch in its window then you get discount coupons from EA to spend as you see fit.

a c 643 U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 7:56:35 PM

If it was from Bethesda. I would pony up the cash without thought.
a c 236 U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 8:13:19 PM

mactronix said:
We thought about this and decided the best bet from a business stand point would be for someone say EA for arguments sake to offer something along these lines.

I must admit to having no idea of time frames here so it may well all be a non starter but the thinking was something like this.

You give $/£ 5-10 now and get an assurance that you get regular updates or playable demo's.
Once you get proof/assurances that its going along nicely and you have had updates or a demo, which would probably be later in the process im guessing, then you pay a second amount.
So on and so forth, i mean the details are not important its just a concept really.

But the main thing from the consumer/investors point of view is they either get a really good game at the end of it which they get either free or at a huge discount. Also they were part of it, i really think people would take the chance just to be able to say they were in it from the start. Maybe you would get DLC at a later date at a discount or free ? There are plenty of options.

If the developer folds ? well EA wouldn't would they ? I would take the gamble on a big well known name but probably not a small operation.
If the game didn't launch in its window then you get discount coupons from EA to spend as you see fit.

sounds great from the end users point of view, from EA or activision or any other big publisher...lets look at the top 10 gaming charts especially STEAM where i placed the publisher names. as much as those guys would like your money early, there would be no point in them discounting games that much. plus no game ever hits their launch window and those that do (games based on movies) suck. games missing windows by months (Diablo III) or years (Duke Nukem) would create legal nightmares for refunds

1. Crysis 2 - PC, PS3, Xbox 360
2. Homefront - PS3, Xbox 360
3. Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars - Wii, Xbox 360
4. Street Fighter IV - DS, Xbox 360
5. Dragon Age 2 - PC, PS3, Xbox 360
6. FIFA 11 - All platforms
7. Rayman - DS
8. Pokemon White - DS
9. Pokemon Black - DS
10. Pilot Wings - DS

We've also got the Steam top-sellers, with discounts marked...

1. Crysis 2 - EA
2. Portal 2 - Pre-order, 10 per cent off - Valve
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike - DLC - activision
4. Total War: Shogun 2 - sega
5. RIFT
6. Dragon Age 2 - EA
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops - activision
8. Darkspore - Pre-order - EA
9. Darkspore - Pre-order (We don't know why it shows twice, no.) - EA
10. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - ubisoft

for indy developers though, it would make great sense.
March 31, 2011 2:29:45 AM

Maybe a sequel on a game that I loved like Master of Orion (Microprose md 90's) to MOO 2 and Diablo to Diablo 2 but I got burned on MOO 3 so I think I'd want a demo.
JMHO
Dave
March 31, 2011 2:53:38 AM

Well it depends actuall if for say I was interested in the IP. Also another thing that some one like EA could do was if the game did not pan out to give you a discount on product that was available or just say credit with what ever they were going to have in their catalog.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 3:05:16 AM

No way. This will never fly.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 3:06:13 AM

No, I have a short attention span and demand instant gratification like most americans. I'm not going to pay cash money for a game that might exist in the future.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 5:48:49 AM

Simply put no, way too many games turn out to be utter failure.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 6:55:31 AM

Well thanks for the replies guys, the thinking was that because there is a huge weight of posts console bashing, basically complaining about the developers not giving us properly coded games, that maybe there was a way around off setting the developers not wanting to pay out for a PC only game and those who want them.
Just an idea that got tossed into the discussion other day.

!