5570 triple display yet again

saffir

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
The more I read the more I see conflicting info and the more confused I get. I'm hoping someone can clear this up.

I've got an HP HPE-450T. I'm swapping out the existing Geforce 315 for a

Sapphire 5570 with

DP
VGA
DVI.

I want to use these 3 monitors simulataneously.

VGA monitor
DVI monitor (also has vga connector if needed)
HDMI TV

From what I have read, there are 2 timing clocks on the 5570 so only 2 DIGITAL displays can be used simultaneously.

I can use a DP - VGA passive adapter because it uses RAMDACS not the TDMS. This means I could do

VGA -> VGA
DP -> VGA (passive adapter)
DVI -> HDMI (passive adapter)

The above seems a little cockeyed, but would it work?

I don't mind my PC displays being analog. There is a sapphire 5570 with VGA, DVI and HDMI. Would a DVI-VGA adapter not use a TDMS timing clock and therefore free up the HDMI for a third monitor?

Finding an active DP - HDMI adapter seems difficult and expensive.

Bottom line..... What would be my best bet for getting my desired triple display working? I can get a different gpu if needed (I haven't opened the 5570 yet). I have upgraded the PSU on the pc to 400W already.

You'll need one of the AMD cards with two DVIs, one HDMI, and one miniDP connection, at a minimum, in order to run 3 displays from a single card. There is probably some exception out there, but every AMD card with the rear panel connectors I described above are capable of powering three monitors one of which has to be connected through the miniDP connection.

There's a 5670 that can get you there for $99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102920&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-920-_-Product

But most will be the 5770 and above that have the connector configuration for which you're looking.

saffir

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks Uber

I just got off the phone with Sapphire tech support in california 909 594 0597. Very knowledgeable.

He said you can do triple head on a sapphire 5570 prod# 100293L like this

VGA ->VGA
DVI-D -> HDMI (Passive adapter)
DP -> VGA (active adapter, eg sapphire product# 100916)

I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Let us know how it goes. I'm reluctant to believe, however, that three screens are going to run off of a GPU with only 2 timing clocks. Although I could be wrong, considering that the third is analogue.

One last thing: You say it doesn't bother you that the screens are analogue, but give that a second thought. You're looking at two VGA and an HDMI displays--two potentially radically different pictures. Are you wanting to play multi-display games (eyefinity) or run any other applications that span multiple monitors? If so, the difference could be EXTREMELY distracting. You can see what this looks like in Youtube videos by searching for Eyefinity. Having one screen show even a slightly different quality/coloring/ppi for the same game can ruin the immersion effect--the entire point of Eyefinity. Keep this in mind--this problem can be exacerbated even more if your monitors are different, as well.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. Tell us how it works out. The video on the newegg product description shows an asterisk at the top of the feed with something to the effect: Eyefinity available on DP model only. I guess not having Eyefinity capability doesn't necessarily mean you can't extend your display to the third monitor?

If this works out, it could offer many applications for business settings for a reasonable price.

Did the sapphire guy say you could extend the display to the third monitor or will it only mirror one to the third?

Please keep us posted.

saffir

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, here's the low down.

The tech support at Sapphire was right - you can do three displays on the sapphire HD5570. Here's how I did it.

I have the 100293L (I think) - it's got VGA, DVI-D and DisplayPort

I have it as

VGA -> VGA monitor
DVI-D -> HDMI adapter -> HDMI TV
DisplayPort -> ACTIVE displayport to VGA adapter -> VGA monitor

The tricky bit is making sure you get an ACTIVE DL to VGA adapter. I got the Accell UltraAV B101B-003B from Amazon, after ordering the sapphire adapter from GearXS and being given the run around for a week and then refunded after they told me it had already shipped. Steer clear of GearXS, they suck.

My triple display is working great, I love it. I have all three monitors displaying in extended mode, and I can do eyefinity - I tried it and it worked, but I don't do gaming so I turned it off.

Regarding the two timing clocks vs 3 displays. Because the Display port has an active adapter, the 2 other timing clocks can be used for the VGA and DVI-D outputs. DVI-D (dual link) can handle the same resolution as 1080i so there is no loss in quality.

The only downside is that since DVi doesn't carry audio, you have to connect the audio via an analog cable from the PC to the HDMI TV. Other than that it's great!

Cool! The display port connection on a card is definitely the criterion for determining whether the card can do 2 or 3 monitors as I described above. Glad you got it working!