Phenom II running too hot

jolurove

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Hello everyone, I bought a new system about a month ago and I was a little worried because my CPU (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 125W) doesn't go below 55C in iddle and goes as high as 80 C under stress, I even bought a new CPU fan, though there's not any sign of overheating like blue screens or slowdowns just an awful amount of noise from the system fans :(

Is there anyone else with this cpu having the same issue? As I read some reviews and the temperatures in them is about 30C. I used Hardware Monitor, Openhardwaremonitor, speedfan, and the asus software to meassure the temperature.

This is my system

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Asus M4A77T/USB3 motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 6770
NOX 625W PSU

jolurove

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Case: B-Move. Model: Isis
One case fan, 120mm
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2

Room temperature is about 27 C

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Since you changed HSFs and saw no improvement, I am concerned with 2 things. Airflow and heat sensor itself (this assumes you installed the HSF properly and have good contact between the HSF and the CPU).

Make sure your airflow is as unobstructed as possible. You may need to move/tidy cabling. Also, you should consider installing a front case fan (or 2) that pulls cool air into the case (the rear fan should pull hot air from the case and exhaust it out the rear).

If adding these fans has no affect, then you likely have a faulty temp sensor. Not really an issue as long as you don't overclock the CPU.

Good luck!

jolurove

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I Have a fan on the rear of the case, would it be better if I put it on the front of the case instead?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, it may actually make your situation worse. Having 2 fans (front pulls in cool air, rear sucks out hot air and exhausts out back) increases your airflow quite a bit. Adding another fan is inexpensive and very easy to install. The fans themselves usually have small arrows on them to tell you which way the air moves when the fan is operating.

beenthere

Distinguished
I doubt your temps are correct as AMD Phenom II CPUs start to malfunction above 60C. Try "Core Temp" and see what it shows for temps. The OE HSF will keep the CPU around 60C with Prime 95. The OE HSF is noisy when running at full speed. I concur that front and rear case fans are mandatory for basic cooling.

jolurove

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

Quite warm actually, I live in Spain, and that's the normal temperature around here :kaola: . And How do I know what voltage to give to the processor?? Right know I get a reading of 1.328 V from CPU-Z.

As for core temp, It doesn't show the temperature of the CPU, I think it may be a BIOS issue, but there isn't an update for my motherboard.

I guess i,ll be buying some fans then.

1.33v is about as close to stock as you can get --- except Turbo will send higher volts to different cores. That's where CPUz can fail at giving an accurate reading. A few cores may be running 1.33v -- and others may be running much higher

AMD OverDrive (I think) will list each core and its individual voltages. Asus Probe may also give you a better reading but I don't believe it will break things down by 'core,' either, like CPUz.

And if I recall, Asus on older AMD chipsets did some bizzaro volt funk. In the BIOS there should be an "LCC" setting used to help control volt drops. There were some issues in early BIOSs but the current ones (I think) helped smooth out some of the volt swings and peaks/drops.

If your volts are flying high, then dropping back, that could be driving some of your temp issues. If you have LCC available in your BIOS you may want to experiment a bit and see if it helps.

Otherwise, another fan may help, and you might see if disabling Turbo does anything for you.

You know the maximum recommended temp for that cpu is 62c right?

So if your over that, you have issues.

Take the side off your case, if your temps drop significantly after an hour, then you have airflow issues.

A good cheap case that comes with 3 fans is the Antec 300.

kolvoke

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
hey my phenom x6 1100t was running soooo hot and the fan was at 6000rpm....i went to the control panel and hardware&sound and Power options click on balanced if its still running hot....click on change plan settings then advanced power settings..go down processor power management then minimum processor state change it to 5% then maximum to 100% :D the prob myt be ur pc is runing at full 3.30ghz