Sharing desktop Icons and programs

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, I'm having a hard time making programs available to all users on a single computer.

I installed Google Chrome, AOE 3 and a number of other programs on the Administrators account. After reading that its not secure and is a best practice to create a second account for daily use I did that. I created the 2nd account with Administrative Rights, then reduced permissions to the first. However, I see that very few programs are available on the desktop of the newly created desktop. I want to share Chrome, AOE3 etc. for all users.

Any ideas, am I missing something. I shouldn't have to reinstall all to the 2nd desktop right?

Thanks all.

1, installing a program will install it to the computer, not just the user (with rare exception anyways).
2, An Icon is just a graphic, what is on your desktop are most likely shortcuts, which have icons, but are not icons in themselves.
3, all programs installed to the computer ought to be under the start, all programs menu. If not there then check your C drive, and then program files. You can then drag the program while holding SHIFT in order to make a shortcut to the desktop (though this is a messy and unsuggested way to manage your programs).
4, it is technically not safe to use an account with administrative privlidges, not the administrator account. I would leave the admin acct alone, and then give yourself a limited user acct if you are worried about it.

Normally, you only want one account with administrator access (for installing programs and such) and set the rest of the accounts to limited user. You can also make the limited accounts members of "power user" or "backup" to give them a little more control.