Does this build look O.K.?

gbrew345

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing but before spending $2000+ on this rig can some one reassure me of this? hahah

i7-2600k

Asus Direct CU II GTX 580

Asus P8P67 Pro

Corsair 750HX

G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600

NZXT Phantom

1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm

LG Black Super Multi SATA Optical Drive

Windows 7

Bigfoot Killer 2100 Networking Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Ensure you get the B3 version of the motherboard.

I'm sure you are well aware, but it'll need to be a 64bit version of Windows 7 to be able to access > 4GB of ram.

Perhaps consider picking up a SSD drive? If your budget won't go higher then perhaps consider using an i5 2500K over the i7.

Never really seen the point of add on network cards - especially when your internet connection speed is more of a bottleneck than your ethernet performance. To make matters worse the last I read about them was they didn't add much performance for the cost.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I agree with RIP on the i5 2500K. The 2600K can be OC's to 4.9 GHz compared to the 2500K that can do 4.8 GHz (without extreme cooling and custom OC'ing). Is the 100 MHz worth the extra $100?

If you are concerned with internet speed I'd go with the ASRock P67 Extreme 6 which has a dual LAN rather than the networking card. While you won't double your speed, you do have the advantage of a second LAN connection to increase internet access and downloads.

I also second RIP on a SSD card. If you are spending $2K you should fit an SSD in your budget. I suggest a minimum 128 GB on SATA 3.0 (6.0 GBps).

gbrew345

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
alright, thanks for the suggestions. I did get the 64-bit windows. I already had the i7 :/ but I'll try to get a SSD in there. Any choices for around $100? I would probably just put windows and a couple steam games on there. Also, I went with the Asus because of the UEFI Bios. Where my computer will be has chronically bad internet connection and the ethernet ports are in use, so I decided to get the Bigfoot Killer because of reviews I read...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You can get a 64 GB SSD for around $100. I wouldn't get any smaller. There are a number of OEMs including Crucial, Corsair, Intel, Plextor, and OCZ. Any of those are good quality. I did have an issue with my SSD and had to RMA it, but it does not seem to be a common problem.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Somewhat confused as to why your other ethernet ports are in use. I suppose you could be using your machine as router...

No network card is ever going to make up for a troublesome internet connection. If there is a fault in the line provided by your ISP then nothing on your LAN is going to fix that.

I like to use this SSD ranking page when people are considering a SSD. None of the drives listed there are $100, however if you've gone for a killer system it's somewhat of a shame to skimp on a SSD.

gbrew345

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I have a Directv box and my xbox plugged into the ethernet ports in the room. I will call my ISP and try to get it figured out. Also, thanks for the SSD suggestions. Is it a big hassel to install a SSD after installing windows?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Oh I see lack of ethernet ports in your room. Well I suppose you could pick up a switch for your room.

Well typically people install their OS on the SSD. I think imaging tools, Acronis at least, has certain limitations when cloning drives with varying sizes and you need to clone the entire drive rather than a specific partition. So from my experience it is a big hassle - I ended up just reinstalling Windows!

You could just use the SSD as the paging drive. However you'll get less benefit doing this than making the SSD OS and paging drive (Windows by default has the paging drive as the installation drive).