elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I'm starting my build as soon as I find the right CPU cooler.. I have been searching for a CPU cooler for 2 days, but still very confused..
I have a budget of around £40 for the cooler.. prefer less

this will be my setup:
CPU: i5 2500k (OC to around 4.5ghz)
GPU: radeon 6950 1gig (planning to cf later)
PSU: tx v2 850w
Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black
RAM: corsair vengeance 1600mhz 2x4gig
Mobo: ASRock z68 extreme4 or Asus P8Z68-V Pro
cooler: ??? :(

Need advice, please

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
From the research I have found that these coolers are of high quality for cheap price:

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Frio
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO CPU Cooler
hyper 212 plus

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'd not go for the Hyper-212 at 4.5GHz. The chip will get to low to mid 70 deg C. Whilst not particularly bad, IMHO it's a bit hotter than you'd want to run a CPU for longevity's sake.

Have you looked at something like the Noctua NH-D14? It's a bit of a beast (and pricey), but one of the best air-coolers out there. Alternatively, the Corsair series of fire-and-forget water-coolers are worth looking at if you're OK with the thought of water in your system.

Well, I did some research before buying my cooler and ended up with the Scythe for basically three reasons:
1. it's about the same size as the Noctua, which should mean it's about equal in performance. For about half the price.
2. it's square and you can mount the fan(s) on any side, making installation and direct the airflow easier (front-to-back, bottom-to-top, your call). It can be fitted with two fans, though you have to buy the second one separately.
3. it includes a knob for adjusting fan speed that's installed in a PCI slot on your case :sol:

Oh yea, the Freezer 13 and Xigmatek Gaia are also solid value for money options with great performance.

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
thanks for all of your inputs :D

I'm probably going for Spire Thermax Eclipse II. it seems to outperform everything and is cheap as chips.. amazon for 40 pounds.. whoa :)

anyone know anything about Spire Thermax Eclipse II? It might be cheap for a reason

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

been reading about it and it seems to be very loud

Well, comparing the Spire to the Scythe (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Ninja-SCNJ-3000-Processor-nickel-plating/dp/B003OF112E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315407756&sr=8-1), I'd say the Scythe looks a bit stronger.

Size: about the same.
Material: Aluminum vs Copper, Scythe wins.

CFM and noise also go to the Scythe, plus the Scythe is PWM controlled while the Spire appears not to be.

I am using a Spire Thermax Eclipse 2 and its around medium for noise on a high end air cooler, its much quieter than the Thermal take Frio but louder than the 212+. BTW its me who is selling it on Amazon in the UK and the price is based on the cost from Spire. I started selling them due to the Frostytech review and because there was nowhere else to buy them in the UK. They are good coolers but AM3 installation is a bitch, Intel is fine though. When I tested them I used my C2 unlocked 550BE at 3.7GHz load temps where:
Hyper 212+ single stock fan 51C
Thermax Eclipse II single stock fan 49C
Thermax Eclipse II dual stock fans 47C
Frio single stock fan 49C
Frio dual stock fans 44C
Note the fans with the Frio are seriously loud.

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
the only thing what I don't like about the eclipse is that the fan speeds cannot be adjusted. They will be running loud although the pc doesnt require it. I'm still not entirely sure what to buy though.

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I appreciate your help everyone. I will browse around for the best cooler/deal later tonight after work and make my purchase tomorrow for all the PC components.

thanks again.. any more info about coolers would be appreciated :)

The Freezer 13 is not good at all performace is around the same as Coolmasters Hyper TX3 which is half the price and nowhere near as good as the 212+ which is around the same price. Just google reviews for it and you will see this confirmed multiple times.

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

does the cooler come with both fans?

Also this cooler is HUGE.. the case which I will have has 200mm side fan.. im not sure if it will fit

If you have a 120mm rear fan then either will fit but not if the side fan is in the way. The Hyper TX3 is smaller but nowhere near as good. I don't know if you will get the cooling you need unless you have a cooler with 120mm fans. The hyper 212+ xcomes with a single fan and the thermax comes with 2.