Sign in with
Your question

SATA III motherboard for i7 860 - or PCI SATA III card?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • SATA
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2012 7:11:12 PM

Hi, I have a Foxconn H55M-S motherboard and an i7 860, and have just bought a SATA III SSD. My motherboard is only SATA II, and the PCI-E slot is x1, and I read on another site that in order to use a PCI-E SATA III expansion card, you need to have a PCI-E x2 slot, otherwise it will only work at SATA II speeds, which defies the whole point in buying one. Is this correct?

I have also thought about buying a new motherboard that has SATA III, but would like to use my i7 860, as I got it in a whole PC for under £400 on Ebay last year, which was an incredible bargain, and upgrading to a different i7, (just the CPU and a new motherboard) is going to cost me £100 - £150 once I've sold my i7 860 and motherboard, and I don't really want to go down that route. Do any of you know of an i7 860 motherboard that has SATA III?

It's not the end of the world if there is no simple solution, I'm sure the speed improvement from the SSD, even running at SATA II speeds, will be more than I need anyway! Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

More about : sata iii motherboard 860 pci sata iii card

a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 9:35:03 PM

I am using my ssd on a SATA II connection and it's already fast. Unfortunately, my brand does not max out my SATA II connection. You may buy a SATA III card but, I would save it for a good SSD drive. When upgrading you can always install your SSD to a new SATA III board.
May 27, 2012 10:32:36 PM

Hi, I've bought a Kingston 120GB V+200 SSD, Read 535MB/s Write 480MB/s, so I guess that's more than SATA II. As you say, I can just wait until I get a new motherboard in the future, I'm sure it will already be a dramatic improvement over a hard drive.
Related resources
June 3, 2012 2:27:08 AM

mosis said:
Hi, I have a Foxconn H55M-S motherboard and an i7 860, and have just bought a SATA III SSD. My motherboard is only SATA II, and the PCI-E slot is x1, and I read on another site that in order to use a PCI-E SATA III expansion card, you need to have a PCI-E x2 slot, otherwise it will only work at SATA II speeds, which defies the whole point in buying one. Is this correct?

I have also thought about buying a new motherboard that has SATA III, but would like to use my i7 860, as I got it in a whole PC for under £400 on Ebay last year, which was an incredible bargain, and upgrading to a different i7, (just the CPU and a new motherboard) is going to cost me £100 - £150 once I've sold my i7 860 and motherboard, and I don't really want to go down that route. Do any of you know of an i7 860 motherboard that has SATA III?

It's not the end of the world if there is no simple solution, I'm sure the speed improvement from the SSD, even running at SATA II speeds, will be more than I need anyway! Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi, I have an ASUA P7P55D-E Deluxe for my i7-860 and a high end graphics card. It has been a great motherboard and has SATA III and USB 3.0. I will be putting an SSD in when I get the time. It is loaded with features and auto overclocking with overclocking remote control. I don't overclock since is so bloody fast with 8GB RAM and a Velocy Raptor OS drive on i7. I'm using it for an HTPC and currently looking for a smaller board for my i7 for the HTPC. I just like this Lian-Li with all the fans it has.

Hope that helps.

Suncruiser
Seattle.
!