Almost All Programs Slowing To A Near Stop

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Ok, so I bought Micro Center brand RAM, 2 4GB sticks of DDR3-1333. I am using an HP Pavilion p6653w. First, I stuck the new sticks into slots 1 & 2, and my 2 original 2GB sticks into slots 3 & 4. With this setup, my OS would not boot. Can anyone explain this?

So, I stuck my original sticks back to 1 & 2, and the new sticks into 3 & 4. My OS booted, and things ran smoothly...for a while. Suddenly, my programs started lagging..as in they became so slow as if they were standing still. Opening a new Windows folder began taking forever to load. I rebooted, but the problem persisted. So, I took the new sticks out and put the original 3rd 1 GB stick back in for my original 5 GB setup. Things ran smoothly for a while, but the problem started again, and is still going on.

Now, I will admit, shortly after I had installed the new RAM, I DLed and ran an executable which MAY have unleashed highly harmful viruses on my system. So, I installed my Panda Antivirus, which I have a subscription for, and I tried running it. It ran ok for a while, and found and deleted many viruses, but it could not finish, because it slowed down to an almost complete stop. So I tried running the antivirus in safe mode, but for some reason, it is not even working in safe mode. Also, when I try to copy a large amount of files from my HDD to an external usb drive, even in safe mode, the data transfer rate gradually decreases until it slows to a stop, and I have no choice but to cancel the operation. Similar to how my antivirus slows to a stop before it can finish while in normal mode.

So, are these problems being caused by viruses, or by the RAM? Because unfortunately, with my current situation, I am not able to rule out one or the other...

fantastik250

Distinguished
The problem is, both your old and new ram must be the same specifications. DDR3-1333, 1.5V, CAS or latency must also be the same, and etc.

It's possible to use different brands, but the specs must match.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

Honestly, the only specification on the package is DDR3-1333. I'd love to know how to find the other specs. More importantly, I took those new sticks out, so why am I still having problems? I mean, it may still be the viruses, but many of those viruses had accumulated over a somewhat long period of time, and I was not experiencing any problems until AFTER I installed the new RAM...

TheWizED

Honorable
May 27, 2012
One thing I have done is used Microsoft Process Explorer to see what application is hogging the system. Once it was Microsoft Update. Everytime I would boot my computer it would run and bring my system to a standstill. Look on the Microsoft site for "Process Explorer". It will show every program and service running with CPU utilization. Just a thought.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

Unfortunately, I have no restore points...and I have defragged my HDD. No luck...