Constant Internet Disruptions Since June

G

Hello everyone, sorry if I am posting in the wrong section, forgiveness please.

I am calling this my last attempt at trying to fix this before I go live in a cave. Since the end of June, I've been through two different ISPs, DSL and now Cable. My download speeds with my cable provider have been great to say the least, but when I go to ping my default gateway during the moments I'm experiencing slow browsing, high ping times in online games, and overall shoddy internet performance, I'm getting ms readings between 10 and 400... and it's not steady either, sometimes it can be 9 and the next hop it will be 109 and I even get timed out readings as well.

I've had long conversations with my ISP about the issue and they made clear to me that everything is OK on their end and that the modem is reading just fine on THEIR end. Let me give you a few examples with what I am experiencing. A lot during the day I will experience extreme slow downs in terms of internet browsing and online gaming. In a video game, I USED to get under 200ms, but now I'm experiencing high 400's and even into the 1000's rendering online gaming unplayable. Download speeds would drop from 1-2mbp/s to under 100 kbp/s and browsing goes from instant page loading to 5-10 seconds of page loading and sometimes even timing out.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and the ISP told me it could have something to do with a recent update or something. I've bought this computer in January with all of the latest high end equipment for gaming purposes and from January until the end of June, my internet has simply not been the same ever since. I don't know what I can do at this point, so I've decided to come to you guys and ask for some help on the issue.

To break it down:

- Inconsistent internet performance
- ISP claims everything is fine on their end, 2 times
- Pinging my default gateway with readings from 9ms to 109/200ms and even timing out... out of nowhere
- Has been happening since the END of June, before everything was great
- Have tried running tests in safe mode, still problems occur
- Online gaming ping times through the roof, noticeably when a lot of action is going, aka World of Warcraft raiding, Battlefield Bad Company 2, etc. Unplayable
- I'm stressing LATENCY here, not bandwidth. LATENCY is the problem here, latency in EVERYTHING
- Horrible browsing experiences all throughout the day
- Using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

If I'm not being clear enough in my post about my problem, feel free to ask questions to go in more depth about the situation. This is the last time I'm seeking out help anywhere as I cannot stand this problem anymore. I'm hoping you guys can crack this problem for me.

Thanks for potential answers/solutions/troubleshooting.

G

As far as I can see you don't mention whether you are using wireless or whether you have tried bypassing the router (at least in the case of Cable) and connecting directly to the modem.