Sign in with
Your question

Help with my first build

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2011 9:55:08 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help with my first build. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to play a few games on it. I plan on using it as a workstation for things like computational chemistry and molecular dynamics simulations. I have a tentative list of parts that I was thinking about in addition to a few questions. My budget is around $1350. Here are the parts I was thinking about.

Case: Corsair 650D
Motherboard: (Not sure yet, but I want a regular ATX board)
Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Cooler: Corsair H60
GPU: Either a Radeon 6870 or 6950
SSD: Either Intel 320 or Crucial m4
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
PSU: Corsair Professional Series 750W

My questions are:

1. Is it a bad/good idea to buy some parts from eBay if I find a decent deal?

2. With regards to the motherboard, I originally wanted one with the Z68 chipset, but a lot of the boards are pretty expensive. I was thinking about this one, since it is has multiple PCIe 2.0 slots in addition to some goodies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is it overkill for me?

3. For the Radeon 6870 v 6950, I'm not sure which one to pick. The former is about $70 cheaper, but the latter seems like a more solid choice. I'm debating between these two specific ones:

4. If for some reason I decide to Crossfire the cards in the future, would 750W be enough juice?

5. For the SSD, should I go with the Intel 320 series or one of the SATA III Crucial disks? The former is overpriced and only SATA II, but it seems that Intel SSDs are more reliable than the other ones.

Thanks for helping me out guys!

More about : build

June 12, 2011 10:21:01 PM

1) Good idea but make sure the seller has a good history and a good warranty in place.

2) Don't worry about the Z68 there is no real world performance advantage to be had based on your needs.

3) Either of these cards will see you right go with your budget.

4) 750 watts should cover it.

5) Go for the Crucial. It is a good brand and better bang for buck.

It is not overkill that is the standard type of system now available and it will see to your future needs for sometime.
June 13, 2011 12:50:27 AM

2329725,2,576073 said:
1) Good idea but make sure the seller has a good history and a good warranty in place.

2) Don't worry about the Z68 there is no real world performance advantage to be had based on your needs.

3) Either of these cards will see you right go with your budget.

Gotcha.

About the chipset, though, if I decide to upgrade to Ivy Bridge later, would the P67 or H67 be the better pick?

As for the GPU, will the 6870 last a reasonably long time with regards to being able to play any game out there on reasonable settings? [/quotemsg=2329725,2,576073]
!