Does this sound like a PSU problem?

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
So my computer has been running fine, aside from occasional DOA mobos, for a year now. Yesterday though, my computer would just turn off. I would turn it back on, and it would last for another 5 minutes, then turn off again. The time that it would last would get shorter, and now when I press the power button the fans and everything goes on for like a second or less then turn off.

I don't know what a failing power supply looks like, but this problem seems like the PSU's. Any input would be helpful thanks=)

Its an OCZ 700w, 4 years old.

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
This mobo is a year and a half. I had it RMA'd 3 times. Though what is happening now hasn't happened before.
Just checked and there were no leaking/bulging capacitors.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
If you have another PC available at a friend's or a relative's, see if you can use your PSU to boot that PC. You'll prolly get a clearer answer from that as to whether the PSU is the culprit.

By the way sorry for being condescending, but have you added any new component, like a new GPU maybe?

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Not condescending at all, I thank you for helping me.
I have been using a wireless card(D-Link DWA-522) from my uncles computer. The problems started a couple days after I started using it, but I removed the wireless card and the problem persisted.
I also unplugged the power to the cd drives, and i took out each piece of ram, one at a time, to test those. But it would always start up for a second, then power down.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
These things sometimes seem to happen without any apparent rhyme or reason. Will in all probability go away.

If visually all the components look all right (no busted capacitors etc.), unplug all the connections from the PSU and the mobo and re-connect and see if that helps.

Also, as I had said, try and check the PSU out in some other system. If your system ain't OC'ed and the temps are all right as you've mentioned, this really should not be happening for any length of time.