Need help selecting a UPS

jamezuva

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hi, so I have a brand new system and want to make sure it's protected. I'm not even entirely convinced I need a UPS per se since I can't remember 1 power outtage or any other power issues since I've been living in my apt for the last 3 years but I thought I'd see what you guys recommend.

I only need enough power to properly shut down the computer in the case of an outtage (assuming you recommend a UPS in the first place). I plan to buy another GTX 580 to put in SLI when they are cheaper in the future.

My current specs are:
# Processor - Intel Core i5 2500K
# CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
# Mobo - Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67 (B3)
# RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz
# Primary HD - Crucial M4 64GB Solid State Drive SATA III
# Secondary HD - Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
# DVD Drive - LG 10X Blu-ray Burner
# Video card - EVGA Geforce GTX 580 3GB
# Sound - REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
# Network - REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
# Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Blue)
# Power supply - Corsair HX1050 1050W
# OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
# Monitor - Acer H233H 1920x1080p 23"

As far as I can tell, I would need a active PFC UPS based on my PSU but not sure what level of PFC is sufficient. The two units I've been looking at are:

APC: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315423439&sr=8-1

Cyberpower: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-1500VA-900W-Compatible/dp/B00429N19W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315423439&sr=8-4

Thanks!

Solution
Based on many years of use I can recommend APC UPSs.

UPSs serve a number of purposes including line conditioning to prevent surges/spikes and brownouts. They also allow time to power down a PC after the grid power goes off. In addition they prevent the loss of data from sudden loss of grid power. And perhaps the most important feature is they protect from hardware damage which can happen with unconditioned grid power.

beenthere

Distinguished
Based on many years of use I can recommend APC UPSs.

UPSs serve a number of purposes including line conditioning to prevent surges/spikes and brownouts. They also allow time to power down a PC after the grid power goes off. In addition they prevent the loss of data from sudden loss of grid power. And perhaps the most important feature is they protect from hardware damage which can happen with unconditioned grid power.

Solution

jamezuva

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I ended up going with the Cyberpower PFC one as I found out that the APC one I listed doesn't even support PFC and has crappy surge protection. The APC ones that do support PFC are a lot more expensive.

This may sound like a really dumb question, but is there any point to plugging a standard strip surge protector (e.g. I have an old belkin one) into a UPS to add to the surge protection?

TRENDING THREADS