PNY GTX 560 TI overlocked vs XFX HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Since I can't sli in my new case then i must find the better single card solution in my price range which is 250 dollars.

I might change my case but that won't be for a while. i have read the threads and read the benchmarks on both cards however I was wondering which would be the better deal and which card manufacturer has better quality?

Also any info I might not of read on performance would help. Here are the links to both cards on sale now. XFX: http://bit.ly/e7X2pk PNY: http://bit.ly/frbzuz

thanks in advance.

Solution

Hopefully, some of those games are on this list. You read this chart by looking at the red bars. Bars to the left of center favor the 6950, bars to the right of center favor the GTX 560. You should keep in mind that this chart is for a GTX 560 clocked at 822 mhz, while the PNY GTX 560 is clocked at 900 mhz. That will amount to a +7% difference in performance for the PNY card over the reference model shown. You can adjust by...

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Your 560 ti link is the same as the 6950 link.

It doesn't matter, the 6950 is the faster and better card it's that simple.

edit - I've no doubt that some nvidia fanboys are going to convince you otherwise by talking about overclocking, physx, cuda and showing benchmarks at 1024x768 resolution in order to "prove" the 560 ti can almost match a 6950.

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I also forgot to mention that i am running at 1920x1080 res., I see what you're saying eyefinity, and thanks for the advice, all the same I would like to hear another viewpoint to be able to hear both sides as I am not brand loyal I have owned both nvidia and amd(ATI).

Both cards will perform nearly identically to each other at out-of-the-box speeds, and both will overclock by a lot more. The difference maker should be based on the actual games that you play. Certain games will prefer one card over the other. And yes, if you play any PhysX games, then that would be a clear decision-maker. Both have a lifetime warranty, so no problems there. I can vouch for the quality of PNY, and they usually pack a good bundle of extras inside the box.

So what games do you play?

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
COD games, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, Homefront, Crysis 1 and 2, Alot of Valve(Steam Games) CSS L4D TF2 Portal, Killing Floor, mostly FPS's. Bioshock 2, AVP, Borderlands along with GTA IV and Liberty city stories. I am looking to get CIV V in the future, I also play the occasional RTS. no mmorpgs though not interested in them.

Hopefully, some of those games are on this list. You read this chart by looking at the red bars. Bars to the left of center favor the 6950, bars to the right of center favor the GTX 560. You should keep in mind that this chart is for a GTX 560 clocked at 822 mhz, while the PNY GTX 560 is clocked at 900 mhz. That will amount to a +7% difference in performance for the PNY card over the reference model shown. You can adjust by adding 7 to each red bar.

t1920.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-560-ti_11.html#sect0

Solution
I just bought a 560 2 gig card. I RMA'ed yesterday. Got so hot back by the VRM's that the video would spit and sputter. ( gaming ) Was going to get a 6950 but wanted the nvidia thing once again. They still have the hottest running cards and that's why I chose an ATI previously. Put my 5850 back in and what a difference. Once the RMA is complete I'll be getting ATI again specifically because of the heat.

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Well based on what I have read and by the sunk cost figured in i decided to go with gtx 560 because it is cheaper now with free shipping and it is factory overclocked to be practically dead on with the 6950 plus the 6950 would require me to move a good amount of hardware to be able to install it and it would be impractical.

oh almost forget the +1 on the PNY quality did sway me too.

I am no nvidia fanboy in anyway it just seemed like the right choice for me, I definitely want to try out an amd gfx card later on down the line.

Thanks to all who replied you have been a great help.

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Hey matto17secs

I heard some things about PNY's warranty service that worries me, that Lifetime is not exactly Lifetime, do you have any experience with their warranty service or know someone who does?

No, I have not had to RMA anything with them. The documentation seemed pretty straightforward, and I didn't notice anything of concern. You have to register the card on-line to bump up to the lifetime warranty.

Before purchasing my PNY card, I started a forum thread to ask, "Is PNY a good brand?", and no one responded negatively. I also searched high and low across the web for some other feedback, and really didn't find anything at all. (Edit: I notice there were some complaints in a thread from 2003, but really nothing recent.) I can try to look up the warranty again and see if there is anything that raises a red flag.

For me, I like that they are an American company, based in New York, and they have an RMA facility near where I live so I can drop things off and pick them up directly (nice perk for living in the Silicon Valley). There are a couple others on the forum with PNY cards: ubercake and jjb96259821749 (not sure of the numbers exactly), but they are new PNY owners.

NapalmWeed

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks so much for info matto I feel assured now that I have made the best decision, I have ordered the card from newegg and It's on it's way, thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.