UH OH...System won't start (have read PERFORM THESE STEPS THREAD)

renderman000

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello,

I've got a Gigabyte z68 motherboard with an nvidia quadro 4000 graphics card, 16 gb G Skill Ripjaws memory, an i7 processor with an after market fan on it...and very strange things keep happening when I hit the power on switch.

1. I get no response whatsoever when the 12v/atx cable is plugged in
2. I can sometimes get the case fans and the hsf to run momentarily (the case fans when run through the mobo but not directly into the psu) and the graphics card lights up when it is seated but not connected to the psu.
3. Then I plug the 12v/atx back in and everything goes unresponsive again until I unplug everything and start again with one stick of ram and the case fans and the front panel wires plugged in. Then I get the same momentary fan action and then nothing.

As far as beeps go, I hear a sort of electricity sounding 'squeak' not coming from the system speaker, but no clear noises from the speaker. Are they very distinct beeps? Did I fry my motherboard? What other relevant info do you need to know what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

Static hands
(I've been totally faithfully using an anti static wristband grounded to the case, but not plugged in. I was getting varying info out there on this point.)

renderman000

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I've got the 2x12 plugged in and I can get the case fans and the hsf running for a bit, as well as a light on the graphics card, but when I also plug the 2x2 12v power in I get don't get a response from anything. This makes me think that I've got an issue with the processor and not with the motherboard. Does that make sense?