Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU bottleneck new GPU and freezing issue?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 30, 2011 11:51:43 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two months or sooner.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching Movies, Producing Music, FPS games, DIABLO 3 whenever it comes out. These are not in any particular order.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Current GPU is a BFG Geforce 7950 GT and Current Power Supply is a OCZ 700 Watt.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz with stock cooler
Asus P5ND MoBo
Memory: 6 Gigs of Corsair Memory - DDR2 (2x2 at 800) and (2x1 at one lower speed which I believe is 667)
2 Seagate 320 Gb HD's and 1 External Seagate TB HD
APEVIA X-Dreamer with 4 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan
Windows 7 64-Bit



PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg but I'm not opposed to buying somewhere cheaper. (fleabay)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Midwest US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Nvidia due to driver support and the fact that this 7950 gt has nursed me along through the past 5-6 years. With that being said, I know I love the price point of the 560ti:

1. Gigabyte 560 ti SOC <-- This one is just a beast and seems to be all the rage.

2. MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II <-- This one is nice because it will keep my already warm case lower in general.

3. EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti <-- I like this card because it is only 9 inches and I'm almost certain that it can fit in my old X-Dreamer. Fitting in the case is obviously a big thing but besides this, there is nothing special about this card and I do want a good one.

Options 1 and 2 might be very tight in my case but I'm measuring tonight.

OVERCLOCKING: Very little. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the far future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 on a 22 inch Sammy. Down the road: I'm considering upgrading to the new 27 inch LED Sammy 1080p monitors but 1080p is the maximum resolution of the monitor and I don't want to hinder myself.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A lifetime warranty doesn't hurt.

Now I have a few questions (this is a big post, sorry guys)

1. Will my CPU bottleneck a 560 ti? If so is it even worth upgrading to a quad in 775 like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-...

Or should I just wait it all out and upgrade the mobo and cpu with this videocard down the line? My goal was the buy this videocard now, and later down the line upgrade the mobo to a higher socket and cpu.

The entire reason I am wanting to update my video card is because I'm having a random freezing issue and I'm thinking it is the videocard. In SpeedFan my videocard idles around 54C. Maybe it just got old? I cleaned all the dust out. I ran memtest and it turned out fine. The CPU seems to be fine and I checked the drives for errors. I just get random Critical Event Error 41 in the event viewer constantly. I'm hoping dropping $250 on a 560ti will solve this problem but I will be bummed if it doesn't.


I am seeking general advice and people to point me in the right direction to both the freezing problem with my computer and which video card to purchase. Thank you for your help.
March 31, 2011 12:39:13 AM

anyone????????
!