PSU help Bulldozer/CF 6950s plus more

rmcron5296

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
First off I know I have asked a similar question, but some things have changed since then. Please let me know if I have broken any rules or anything. My current rig is in my sig. I am using a Corsair TX750v2 and it is working wonderfully. I just upgraded to the Xigmatek Elysium case and I want to get a modular PSU at the same time. I am selling my TX750 to my friend for $70 because he is one of my best friends and I had a question as to which one to replace it with. I am going to stick with Corsair, but I am debating between the AX750, HX750, AX850, and HX850.

I will be upgrading to the FX8150 once it comes out and it is rumored to be a 125W TDP. I am also picking up a second HD 6950 in the near future unless I hear that the 7000 series will be out very soon. I'll then crossfire 2 of them if that is the case. A CPU, GPU, GPU water cooling loop will be in there as well. I just wanted to see if the AX is worth the extra money compared to the HX and if I would 750 or 850. I have read that 850W should be enough for all of that, but let me know if I need to bump it up to a larger size. I don't mind spending the extra on the AX as long as it is really worth it.

AX750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016&Tpk=ax750

AX850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=ax850

HX750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=hx750

HX850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&Tpk=hx850

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The AX is a better efficiency rating so it is the better of the 2.

However, 850w is PLENTY for what you plan on building. So its probably unnecessary to spend the extra on the AX version. The HX should more than suit your needs.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
blah blah blah "bulldozer" blah blah
another amd-is-best-bro guy.

why does everyone act like bulldozer is a real thing? like it's something you can put up on these forums, get benchmark-based advice on, and order from newegg tomorrow. this must be the 99th moron I've seen planning a build on a non-existent chip line. vaporware at its best. anything amd has NOW cannot match an i7-920 from last generation and this bulldozer bullshit is supposed to take on the generation AFTER sandy bridge? the same sandy bridge whose middle-of-the-line 2600 chip makes the $1000 i7-990x completely irellevant, even if it cost 300 instead of 1000? cause that's what will be out by the time amd stops ******* around with llano, llama, apu, hey-at-least-we-now-technically-make-radeons.

Uther39

Distinguished

Funny i thought we were talking about PSUs? And if this guy wants to purchase a new PSU while bearing in mind any potential future upgrade paths, then so be it, let him, its a free world wide web.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
OK, so msybe joeman was a little off topic about the Bulldozer but why did the OP have it in the title of his post?
As for the BD sentiment, I have to agree. All the hype on the BD is just setting up AMD fans for a huge disappointment. How will it OC? What's the price? Can it match a $220 I5 2500k which can go to 4.5Ghz on air? Integrated graphics, I haven't heard that the BD has that. Ya' know just in case your brand new GTX 590 goes belly up and you have to RMA it, you can still use your SB to look at your monitor.
I'm sure not waiting in line for a BD and my last 3 CPU's were AMD's.

Uther39

Distinguished

So you start off by commenting that joeman was off topic and then continue to stay off topic, this thread is about PSUs not the pitfalls of AMDs to be CPUs, now give it a break and stay on topic please.

rmcron5296

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I wasn't trying to start another bulldozer flame war. I had in my title to give an idea on what I was going to be using. I'm not an AMD fanboy and I don't think it's going to be the best thing ever. I had the AMD 955 BE and the Crosshair V mobo. Bulldozer is the next logical step if it does well. No where did I spout of that Bulldozer would be the end all be all of cpus.

blah blah blah "bulldozer" blah blah
another amd-is-best-bro guy.

why does everyone act like bulldozer is a real thing? like it's something you can put up on these forums, get benchmark-based advice on, and order from newegg tomorrow. this must be the 99th moron I've seen planning a build on a non-existent chip line. vaporware at its best. anything amd has NOW cannot match an i7-920 from last generation and this bulldozer bullshit is supposed to take on the generation AFTER sandy bridge? the same sandy bridge whose middle-of-the-line 2600 chip makes the $1000 i7-990x completely irellevant, even if it cost 300 instead of 1000? cause that's what will be out by the time amd stops ******* around with llano, llama, apu, hey-at-least-we-now-technically-make-radeons.

You come into my thread flaming me for no reason because you are "Intel is best bro guy." I chose the 955 because it was what I could afford and the expensive mobo was a gift allowing me to get the bulldozer if I wanted to. You are being a dick for no reason.

Just because I plan on upgrading to Bulldozer doesn't mean I have to. If it flops entirely obviously I'll have to reevaluate my situation and go from there. I'm not preaching from the mountain tops that I am getting bulldozer from day one or anything. I just wanted to have a PSU that would power my potential rig.

OK, so msybe joeman was a little off topic about the Bulldozer but why did the OP have it in the title of his post?
As for the BD sentiment, I have to agree. All the hype on the BD is just setting up AMD fans for a huge disappointment. How will it OC? What's the price? Can it match a $220 I5 2500k which can go to 4.5Ghz on air? Integrated graphics, I haven't heard that the BD has that. Ya' know just in case your brand new GTX 590 goes belly up and you have to RMA it, you can still use your SB to look at your monitor.
I'm sure not waiting in line for a BD and my last 3 CPU's were AMD's.

I already mentioned earlier in this post why I had bulldozer in the topic, but I'll say it again. It was just a insight into my question. What PSU would I need to run a bulldozer and crossfire 6950s. I'm sorry I didn't say PSU Question like everyone else. Obviously since the chip isn't out yet this is all a plan. And things do no always go according to plan. I never said I'll pick it up day one. I do plan on waiting to see benchmarks and seeing just how well it does and if it is a worthy improvement over what I have.

I really just wanted to see opinions on PSUs that would power what I thought I would have. If you don't have anything to contribute to the PSU conversation then I do not understand why you're here. I apologize for taking my own topic off farther with this post, but I really did not understand why joeman99 and DelroyMonjo came in here just to push things off topic and flame my potential CPU choice.

rmcron5296

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for the insight z06psi. Also thanks AdrianPerry for letting me know that the HX should be fine so I could save some money.

@Uther39 I have read good things about the XFX and it's not to hear a positive first had experience with one. I'll definitely keep that in mind when making the final purchase. I'll be getting it this weekend so I have some time for thought, but I appreciate all the helpful comments.