Sign in with
Your question

Can I get some feedback on this Cyberpower config?

Tags:
  • Cyberpower
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2011 7:16:51 AM

I'm looking to buy a pre-built gaming rig, but I am a hardware luddite and haven't upgraded in many years. Tell me what you think. This seems like overkill, and I imagine I can save money here & I am probably making some newb mistakes, and so would love some feedback.

Case: * CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-72] (Black Color)
Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)
Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)
Motherboard: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
Memory: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+177] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Power Supply Upgrade: 950 Watts - CyberPowerPC Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply
Hard Drive: 120GB Corsair Force Series SATA III 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write [+181] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+68] (Single Hard Drive)
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+21] (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: * Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card [+29]

More about : feedback cyberpower config

June 13, 2011 7:30:29 AM

First thing I wanna say is I generally deal in the New Build section, but I'm gonna try and not persuade you to build yourself.

Go 2500k. That i7-960 is expensive and old. The newer Sandy Bridge i5-2500k is a better choice.

I would say no liquid cooling, but it's up to you.
When you swap to P67, get 8GB of ram.
I would not include an HDD, as those are very easy to install yourself. They are WAY overcharging you for that HDD.

And that GTX 580 is a bit overkill. If you go overkill, I would swap to 2 6950's or 6970's. More expensive yes, but more performance.
m
l
June 13, 2011 8:30:34 AM

You dont mention what that build is going to cost you but I bet it can be beaten with a homebuild for 60% of the cash if not less
I agree with Strike, rip a new thread over in homebuild proper and see what folks throw up for you
fill this in as your starter post with any other details you think relevant :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-adv...
Moto
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2011 6:47:05 PM

Hey thank you both for your responses. I realize that a homebuilt would be cheaper, but at this point / time in my life the extra cost is worth the savings in frustration. I haven't built a system in over 10 years, and in all honesty I would much rather spend the extra money to just have it taken care of for me. Here's my updated build - I'm looking to spend around $1,500 US, and this is right in that ballpark:

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case [-2]
Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan [-6]
Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: None
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+74] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+214] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: * 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+93]
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+51] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo [+79] (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: * Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card [+29]
m
l
June 13, 2011 6:51:55 PM

You could save $30 bucks by ditching the sound card and using onboard audio. Most people can't tell the difference anyway.
m
l
June 13, 2011 6:56:57 PM

Sigh.... We could easily save you $500 you know. And building is VERY easy. All you gotta do is throw the parts in. If you don't believe me, check out this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... Super simple.

But assuming you still want to go cyberpower, I would:
-Get rid of soundcard. onboard sound is more than adequate these days.
-Drop the factory OC. It's not worth it. You can do it in 5 minutes.
-Remember you need an OS.
-You have 2 DVD drives. One is Blu-ray+DVD, the other is straight DVD.

Hopefully this helps you out a little.

m
l
June 13, 2011 7:30:12 PM

Nice to see the chip/mobo adjustments there, as well as a named psu :) 
as the others have said the soundcards not vital but its up to you ofc,
and yes, dont forget a Operating system,
nice tweaks though,
Moto
m
l
June 14, 2011 12:09:15 AM

Thanks again everyone. You may have convinced me to build my own, but it's daunting. Really. It is. These things generally do not go well for me.

To answer the question about the 2 DVD drives, I put the second one on their to remind myself to see if the Bluray could burn CDs. Thanks for pointing out the redundancy.

best wishes everyone!
m
l
June 14, 2011 1:12:45 AM

Great to see you taking the plunge again man, don't worry :-) read some guides, take your time and always ask for help BEFORE doing anything your unsure of, we're here to help,hinder mock and congratulate as needed :-)
Moto
m
l
June 14, 2011 1:17:12 AM

Righto! Let me, Moto and the other guys figure you out a build ;) 
m
l
!