Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Future proof PSU?

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2011 2:30:32 AM

Hi All!

I wanted to get some opinions on my next PSU.

Hopefully everyone can see my setup in the member configuration link. The PSU (Antec truepwer trio 550w) is 3 years old now, so I decided to check out my system on a PSU calculator to account for 30% aging. It seems that my requirements are about 600w at that point. I have had some random shutdowns the past few weeks during gaming. All of my temps seem ok, I am thinking it might be the PSU.

Anyways, I intend to upgrade soon (BD, SB-E). I also want a SLI/CF setup on the next rig.

So, I calculated a rough estimate of what PSU I would need and I got 820W. Now, I hear a lot of people using 750w & 850w units for OC'd SLI/CF setups. When I calculate for 30% aging i get 1064w! Big jump... I don't want to have to replace the PSU in 3 years if it is too close to capacity, but I am also hearing that 1000W+ PSU's are "overkill".

I wanted to ask if just getting a "sufficient" PSU is enough? Should I shoot for that 30% number? I already know which models I have in mind for each wattage class. I just don't want to spend a ton of money, and never use all that power.

Thanks in advance!

If you cant see my specs let me know, and I will Post them! :hello: 

More about : future proof psu

a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2011 2:52:05 AM

where the hell did you get the 30% number? With a quality PSU, aging does literally nothing to it but it does degrade it slowly over time (not really noticeable) as with most electronics.

Word of the street is always 750w is enough for a good sli/cf system with powerful mid range cards like a gtx 560 ti or amd hd 6870. Two of them + a moderately powerful system will consume about 300-450w under the worst case scenarios (stress testing) and the extra room is for the extra guarantee in case someone wants to overclock. Another reason is that its also better to run your PSU near half its capacity which is usually its highest efficiency and never near the max as it is quite close if anything happens.

A good quality unit from Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, or XFX will do the trick.
m
l
September 9, 2011 12:38:35 AM

Thanks for the info lilotimz!

Let me sum up the questions:

Does anyone think that the PSU could be causing the crashes? I will be doing more testing, but everything seems normal, just as it has for 3 years now. It only crashes during gaming - Everything freezes, loss of sound, and a few seconds later reboots without a BSOD or anything. I have not updated any software or drivers, or installed any hardware within the last week this has been happening. I plan to stress test the CPU, GPU, memory, and play with the voltages a bit. I will report back with any findings.

Also, what is the purpose of the capacitor aging selection on the PSU calculators? What components does it represent? Is it irrelevant to a quality PSU? How is the percentage calculated? The reason I ask is because I have read some threads in which builders use 30% capacitor aging to compensate for inaccuracies by the calculator, and for future proofing their build.

In addition, when I used the Corsair PSU finder, it recommended the TX950, HX1050, and the AX1200.

Any help is appreciated! :D 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 5:09:58 AM

random shutdowns are likely the PSU, normally capacitors leaking. You do have a good quality psu so i doubt that is the case. It can also be bbad caps on the motherboard, they are easy to spot. Capacitor aging assumptions are pretty useless, they arent the deciding factor as to how much power a psu can produce, they are really only used for filtering, you may get out of spec voltages when they go bad.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:03:35 PM

IDK...

I ran Prime95 blend, memtest, furmark, and LinX; everything seems OK...

I am unsure if there is a way to test the mobo. Unfortunately, I do not have the means to test the PSU.

I was hoping to run a Seasonic X-850 on the next rig, and despite their great reputation, I am a little iffy about running a system that calculated at 840W.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 10:25:57 PM

A seasonic X850 is such overspec'd that is easily exceeds 1000w+ output (their testers couldn't pull any more) and still stay easily in the 80+ range and extremely good stability on the rails.

A X850 can power an i72600k at 4.5ghz + with 2x gtx 580 overclocked epically alongside a complete enthusiast build and still run it stable. Hell, you can probably even get away with SLI GTX 590 / CF 6990's on it if you can find them and still have no problems (other than noise/heat).

Random shutdowns could be also windows issues, corrupt files etc so you might want to check into that too.

Anyways, that antec is a good unit but if you can afford the x850 now and move it to the new computer you're going to build, I have no objections and in fact encourage you to since it's such a good power supply.
September 10, 2011 1:52:01 PM

Best answer selected by rmerwede.
m
l
September 10, 2011 1:55:11 PM

Thanks everyone!

I agree, so many systems have been built that require all that power and the X-850 delivers! I will just make sure to research my own component power requirements to ensure that I do not over do it.

I was thinking it was the power supply only because I had a similar problem with my workstation at work. We swapped the PSU, and it never happened again. But I plan on upgrading anyway so.. win-win! :bounce: 

Thanks again!

m
l
!