2 x 120mm Lian Li V1000 case fans (plus PCU fan) enough for SLI?

russianpolecat

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
HI, thinking of getting an i7 950 system with 12g of RAM (HD editing) with 2 x GeForce GTX 460 cards in SLI. Obviously the cards have their own fans and I'll have a fan on the CPU. But will 2 x 120mm case fans be enough (1 front and 1 back)? Don't plan to overclock.

Thanks.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
All depends on the ambient room temp, internal case temp, whether or not the cards are self-exhausting, their slot spacing, and other factors. Really, unless someone already has such a configuration, you're pretty much in a trial and error situation.

Regardless, when it comes to air-cooling, I prefer and recommend filtered positive-pressure air-cooling configurations. Loosely translated, it's a configuration that has slightly more air being pushed in than their is being pulled out. Also, all intake ports have a removable dust filter. No case is airtight, so the extra positive-pressure will find a vent or crack to leak out of the case.

In a negative-pressure setup, vents and cracks allow air in, which often leads to dust build-up that slowly reduces the amount of air that can enter the case. Also, cracks are virtually impossible to filter, so dust will enter the case's interior. Interior dust will build-up on the various internal heatsinks, thus reducing their cooling effectiveness and efficiency.

Here's a link explaining it better, along with picture examples: http://www.demcifilter.com/filters_performance.php#positive_pressure

I think the case will work.
It is a nice, well ventilated case, just not a lot of fans.
I assume you own it, otherwise, there are better cooling lian li cases available.

If you only need one external 5 1/2" bay, you could add a front intake 120mm intake fan.
Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999164&cm_re=bay_fan-_-11-999-164-_-Product
I think scythe also makes a simpler, and cheaper version called kama bay.

For sli, pay particular attention to the motherboard, and where the two pcie-x16 slots are located.
In many motherboards, the two cards will be located next to each other, and the top card will run hot.
Find a motherboard where the slots have a bit more separation.

If you own the GTX460cards, then fine. If not, I think things would be simpler using a single stronger card.

Also, why the i7-950? Sandy bridge cpu's are much stronger and cheaper. A basic 2400 can compete with a i7-980.
A 2500K with a mild OC would be much better.
For your editing, you could get a full 16gb(4 x 4gb)