June 13, 2011 11:37:18 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 2-3 weeks
Budget Range: no real cap but would be nice to keep within USD 2,500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Purely for gaming
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Soundcard: Not required (external)

I have been reading tomshardware and various other websites and forums for a good 2 weeks now and have come up with the following build, however, I am still struggling to decide on a few components:

Main:Asus P8P67 Deluxe (B3)
CPU: i7 2600K
PSU: Corsair AX1200W
VGA: MSI N580GTX 3GB Lightning Extreme Edition
Case: CoolerMaster HAF RC-922 Mid Tower
RAM: ???
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D14
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 128GB MAX IOPS

*I do have a brand new 1TB HDD and DVD writer so will just attach those to the above

RAM
I am still struggling to choose my RAM:
-Should i got for a 2x2GB dual channel, 2x4GB dual channel or 4x2GB?
-Is it worthwhile for me to get 2133MHZ or 1866MHZ RAMS or is 1600MHZ good enough for my usage? Which is better for overclocking? are higher MHZ RAMs really overkill? How about the latency? How important is that? Some of the high end RAMS have pretty big heatsinks which may interfere with my Noctua CPU cooler. If that's the case, what is a high end alternative cooler I can go for?
Based on this, I would appreciate if you could recommend what to buy. Money is not an issue as long as I am spending it in the right place and do get performance.

VGA
I am pretty much decided on buying a 580GTX VGA although I did spend a lot of time studying 6950CF, and 6970CF options. anyway, which is the best GTX580 to get? I read nothing but good reviews about this MSI with it's superior cooling system and factory OC. But the price is also NOT CHEAP compared to models like Gainward Phantom and Asus. Am I making the right choice here? I am planning to do some OCing and want to keep my options open for an SLI setup in the future. The other alternative here is the MSI Twin Forzer II with 1.5GB memory which is cheaper but with 1.5GB less memory and a weaker factory OC.

Case
The cooler master 922 mid tower seemed to get good reviews. But is it really worth paying double for this compared to a case like the Antec 300? Or looking at my setup, It is even worth it to go one better and buy a more high end case? I don't really care about aesthetics nor the strength of the case. Only thing which is important for me is cooling and whether I even need a high end ventilated case based on my system config and usage.

Also would like to know in general, which parts would you change (upgrade or downgrade). Will i have a bottleneck buying that setup? is there any areas I can spend more and go slightly better?

Thanks
June 13, 2011 1:17:57 PM

CPu + Mobo
i7 + ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

RAM - Go with 2x 4GB kits,...they are pretty cheap nowadays and 8GB is nearly becoming a standard,...
GSKillz 8GB DDR3 CAS 8 - This has a right combination of speed and latency,...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - If no SLI, then why do you need an 1200W PSU ?? Even for 580 SLI, say an 850W+ PSU should do,...

GPU - Any reason why the performance of the 6950 Crossfire dint impress you ??
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-revie...
June 13, 2011 4:39:30 PM

I am not going with the Z68 simply because it is a new chipset and the P67 has been around for sometime and well matured.

That RAM option looks interesting. Is 1600MHZ good enough?

I am now also looking at the 1000WH version of the corsair which is much cheaper, but I hear the 1200AX is an extremely solid built PSU and even if you dont need the 1200 power, it is still a good buy due to it's quality.

as for 6950 CF, the performance did impress indeed (especially if you consider their price) but I am reluctant to go with a dual GPU setup at the moment as I am worried about game compatibility and I do not want to waste too much time worrying if my games actually make full use of CF or not.
June 13, 2011 7:44:02 PM

Hypnotique123 said:
I am not going with the Z68 simply because it is a new chipset and the P67 has been around for sometime and well matured.

That RAM option looks interesting. Is 1600MHZ good enough?

I am now also looking at the 1000WH version of the corsair which is much cheaper, but I hear the 1200AX is an extremely solid built PSU and even if you dont need the 1200 power, it is still a good buy due to it's quality.

as for 6950 CF, the performance did impress indeed (especially if you consider their price) but I am reluctant to go with a dual GPU setup at the moment as I am worried about game compatibility and I do not want to waste too much time worrying if my games actually make full use of CF or not.

1600 is plenty. Also, at 1920 x 1080, you're probably fine with an i5-2500 and a GTX 570.
!