Sign in with
Your question

Searching for wisdom on this very first build

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2011 3:05:28 PM

Hello interwebz! I’m new to custom computers and now that I can settle down in my own place I thought of creating my very first custom pc. So I did my own research on the basics and worked my way up. Now I believe I’m quite knowledgeable in making custom PC’s. I found that custom making PC’s is very, very entertaining.
----------------------------------------------------
I have a budget of only $1500 (which includes everything, even the monitors) and I’ve come up with 4 customs. So now I’d like you guys to check whether they can or can’t work together and whether they are at the least future proof (cause I plan on upgrading). Also, please tell me which among the 4 would give me the most bang for my buck. And please feel free to give me any suggestions, lectures (not long ones) and tips. Thanks!
I did not write down the DVD drive and hard drive but just in case you were wondering.
Hard drive: Western digital 500GB
DVD drive: *some Sony branded DVD reader/writer*
Also all CPU’s will be cooled by either a Corsair H70 or a Coolit eco C240
AMD/ATI type
Case: Corsair graphite 600t
Motherboard: asus crosshair iv formula
CPU: AMD phenom II x6 1100t
Graphics card: sapphire ati radeon hd 6870 1gb
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4gb (2x2gb) 1600mhz
Power supply: Thermaltake 600w
AMD/NVIDIA type
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-990fxa
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 970
Graphics card: asus nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti
INTEL/NVIDIA type
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-p67a-ud4
CPU: intel i5-2400 quad
Graphics card: asus nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti
INTEL/ATI type
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-p67a-ud4
CPU: Intel core i5-2500k quad
Graphics card: sapphire ati radeon hd 6870 1gb

More about : searching wisdom build

Related resources
June 13, 2011 3:25:25 PM

cheaper case too. the nzxt phantom is 120$ w/ promo code at newegg.

and get a tx or xfx 650w
m
l
June 13, 2011 3:33:20 PM

:D  I new i should've added this one once i saw it. :D 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: No rush

Budget Range: $1500 (considering no sale and rebates to be on the safe side)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: From hi-end gaming and digital film editing and after effects to simple Microsoft word

Parts Not Required: I already considered everything i need, i just didnt write all of them down so i dont think there is any...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Canada computers and NCIX

Country of Origin: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

Parts Preferences: I'm not really picky as long as i get good results (exept for cases, its either the corsair graphite 600t or the NZXT phantom)

Overclocking: Yes in the future when i upgrade but not now, that's why i want it future proof

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in the future when i upgrade but not now, that's why i want it future proof

Monitor Resolution: 1366x768 (in the future i plan on having a triple display)

Additional Comments: Yeah, im gonna have a 3x1 landscape eyefinity later on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!!!
m
l
June 13, 2011 3:34:46 PM

As per country of origin : Well, im in Canada buying all the components in Canada.
m
l
June 13, 2011 9:32:07 PM

i5 2500k
asrock p67 extreme4 motherboard
nzxt phantom
tx 750 or an xfx 750w psu whichever one is cheaper
8gb gskill 1600mhz ram
gtx 560 ti

How far will you overclock an i5 2500k
m
l
June 14, 2011 8:33:43 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
How far will you overclock an i5 2500k

I dunno, it depends on weather it will handle the new game "Battlefield 3" in max settings and with a fps of at least 50.
I also plan on triple screen eyefinity and put two gtx 560 ti into sli mode. So im only gonna overclock to reach the game experience im looking for.

And thanks for the advice!
m
l
June 14, 2011 8:50:40 PM

If you go with 3 screens I believe you will see more benefit from a 2GB 6950 than a 560 Ti.
m
l
June 14, 2011 9:11:46 PM
June 14, 2011 11:12:36 PM

Wow, I'm in a pinch here. My budget's only $1500 and everything's gotta fit in that, even tax.
Even though I'm a noob, I'm still quite the enthusiast and gamer (i want maxed out games).

So here are the things I'm looking for:
-An i5 2500k processor or just any that would handle the upcoming games
-A motherboard that supports sli for my future upgrade
-A nvidia graphics card that can do triple eyefinity when in sli mode (i won't be doing eyefinity with only one graphics card)
-I'm willing to OC abit if needed. Thats why I'm getting a Corsair hydro h70
-I'm also into film making and 3d animation but I only need a 4gb 1600mhz memory for now
-The only cases I'm looking at are the Corsair graphite 600t and the nzxt Vulcan. Suggestions are still accepted

Any suggested builds within these parameters would be much appreciated. Thanks!! :sol: 
m
l
June 14, 2011 11:19:15 PM

NCIX: Oh, Canada! Back when i was living there i did all my purchasing through NCIX. Loved em.

Anyways, I can't speak for the AMD boards due to lack of experience but the socket 1155 with DDR3 seems about as future-proofed as you can get atm. I don't think 1155 will be going anywhere anytime soon. (They do have new chipsets in the pipes but it seems to be much like 775 has been for a while. It's looking to have a long "supported" life span.)

I'd also step up the power supply to an 800W just for future proofing, and for a sturdier power supply. I picked up an antec quattro 800 and have been running with it for 4 years now through 3 different rigs. Money well spent.
m
l
June 14, 2011 11:23:15 PM

Even if you will use two video cards you need as much VRAM as you can get (the VRAM doesn't add). For multi monitors you have to go AMD, Nvidia doesn't cut it. So you need a video card with 2GB of VRAM (I see now that the Asus in my link above is not good, sorry).
m
l
!