Monitor no signal tried a bunch of things, stuck on crap laptop HELP!

franktastic4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Computer: XPS720 h2c
Motherboard: XPS720 (thats what it says in the dxdiag - heard its a BTX board don't think its that old though has three PCI-E 2.0 slots (it ran the 8800GT's in SLI, one broke a while back so I disabled it).

I just received the Nvidia 450GTS to upgrade from the 8800 GT.

What Happened
Few days ago 8800 GT card started acting weird about 10 mins after computer starts up my screen look funny like a column shifted over with sideway slashes.
Got new graphics card, but now the new video isn't sending any signals to the monitors, and the old one which I haven't use since (its been about 3 days) also cannot send out any signals

I tried:
1) Testing with different monitor (same result in both VGA and DVI for both video cards).
2) Tested Monitors with another computer (worked fine)
3) Tried this method hold down power button w/o power cord attached for 30-60 seconds (tried both)
4)Tried different slots (only two slots can fit the card PCI-E 2.0)
5)Tried changing the thing that connects to the Power Supply

I thought it was the motherboard so when the power supply (from the cord) came out the mobo beeped really fast got scared pulled the plug on the comp.

When I hit the power button the lights and everything come on power, cooler, HDD (I hear it spinning), video card fans starts spinning.

Edit: PSU is 950w

Additional Note(s):
1) I don't think I have a intergrated video card (theres no slot that I recognize anywhere on it)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I would then suspect the power supply or the motherboard. You need either a working video card or power supply to determine which it is. Do you have access to either?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Your mobo may be the problem, that is why I suggested swapping a good video card into the system. If the good video card works, it isn't the motherboard (or the slot). Removing RAM is likely not going to help with this issue.

Also, the suggestion to swap the power supply is used to isolate whether it is the problem, or the mobo, or the video card (thus the recommendation to try the 450 in another PC).

Does this help clarify the recommendations, thus far?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

It depends on where you live, but I would expect you to shell out at least $50US. Is this system still under warranty with Dell?

franktastic4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
UPDATE:
Took out RAM and Video card let it beep.
Turn on let it beep, turn back off.
Put RAM back it.
Turned on still beeped (that means it recognizes theres no video card right?)
put video card in + RAM
Still...beeping... its long continuous beeping (made of fast stutters?)

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
Normal POST - system is ok - 1 short beep
2 short beeps POST Error - error code shown on screen
No beep Power supply or system board problem
Continuous beep Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps Power supply or system board problem
1 long, 1 short beep System board problem
1 long, 2 short beeps Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
1 long, 3 short beeps Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
3 long beeps 3270 keyboard card

So sounds like a combination of continuous beeping and repeating short beeps or if it doesn't give both a time I guessed continuous beep (but this did stop after 2 seconds of beeping for like 1 second) so I tried plugging a keyboard but nothing I plugged into the USB received any power.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Beep codes vary from system to system, so unless you have the Dell codes you can't determine anything. With your issues and inability (since you don't have alternate parts for checking) to troubleshoot, it could still be the mobo, video card, and/or power supply.

franktastic4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Update Beeping stopped remove a 1g stick of RAM from DIMM 1 - didnt have a problem with it until I started comp w/o anything then plugging it all back in :/ 3g of RAM in atm no beeping still no video