Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 2 causes computer to shut down

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2011 5:51:08 AM

While playing Crysis 2 my computer will randomly shut down with no warning. The game is running perfectly before the shutdown. The time it takes to shut down varies, I can be playing for an hour, or a couple of minutes. I thought it would be an overheating issue but the highest my video cards temperature went was around 58 degrees celsius.

My computers specs are:

500gb harddrive
4 gb ram
Foxconn Motherboard
HD Radeon 4850 graphics card
AMD Phenom II 2.8 ghz Quad core Processor
500 W Foxtech Powersupply
Cooler Master Blk Case
Windows 7 32bit

Any ideas as to what could be causing the shut down? The computer is fairly new, bought it last October, so only about a half a year old.

More about : crysis computer shut

a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 5:58:22 AM

Usually this issue arises with a failing PSU, happened with me in almost the exact same way.

I suggest testing your PSU by trying out a known working one in your computer. But all evidence points to a bad PSU, best just to get a new one.

I suggest Corsair, Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic are all good PSU brands. For the size of PSU you need, the best price might be OCZ ModXtreme 500w PSU. I've built 2 machines with it without any issues, Semi modular, it's great for the price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 6:06:52 AM

When your GPU and CPU are under load, it takes a lot of power. Your isn't one of the quality brands either. I am pretty sure it is a PSU issue/
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 6:06:54 AM

Thanks, I'll definitely look into those. However, is there any chance the video card itself is a problem? Or is the one I'm currently using enough to handle the game? Like I said, the game is running perfectly without any sort of lag, and it's running on the lowest settings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2011 6:12:13 AM

The worst a weak video card would do is get low FPS. If you video card was defective, you would probably just loose a image. It sounds like the PSU is failing to supply all the power needed.
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:21:33 PM

I have the same problem, and I have a Corsair 550W psu, but I still suspect it might be insufficient?

Specs:

Motherbpard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66 GHz

RAM: 4 BG Corsair Dominator (CMP4GX3M2B1600C8)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850 Toxic

PSU: Corsair VX550W

Cooling: CoolIt ECO C92 A.L.C. (liquid cooling system) + 4 regular fans

Win 7 32-bit

I'm pretty sure there's no overheating, and my driver are up-to-date.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 7:29:46 PM

simor said:
I have the same problem, and I have a Corsair 550W psu, but I still suspect it might be insufficient?

Specs:

Motherbpard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66 GHz

RAM: 4 BG Corsair Dominator (CMP4GX3M2B1600C8)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850 Toxic

PSU: Corsair VX550W

Cooling: CoolIt ECO C92 A.L.C. (liquid cooling system) + 4 regular fans

Win 7 32-bit

I'm pretty sure there's no overheating, and my driver are up-to-date.

Normally, that PSU should give 550w and you should be okay, but maybe it's defective. Not sure. Test your RAM, CPU, MoBo, and HDD.
m
l
April 7, 2011 10:54:07 AM

I ran memtest, Intels diagnostic tool and Hot CPU Test. The last took 6 hours and here is the result:

Test Started at: 23:01:50
Test Duration: 06:00:05
Physical Processors Available: 8
Logical Processors Available: 4
Multi-Processors System(SMP): Available
Hyper-Threading Technology: Not Available
CPU Name String: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Speed: 2664MHz
Logical Processors Tested: CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3
Average CPU(s) Performance: 100.0%

Modules Results:
Complex Matrix: Finished without error
Calculating Pi: Finished without error
Sorting Algorithms: Finished without error
Prime Test: Finished without error
Fast Fourier Transforms:
Chipset:
L1 Cache:
L2 Cache:
Memory: Finished without error
HD: Finished without error
MMX: Finished without error
SSE:
SSE2/SSE3:
3DNow!:

I then ran 3D Mark Vantage on high settings including their feature tests, and everything worked during the test. Scored Total: H11.038 GPU: 10.765 CPU: 12.891

Is there any way to determine if the PSU is failing, except for foreclosing other issues?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 11:17:27 AM

seriously, if its not overheating there's the problem > "Foxtech Powersupply " foxtech has no reputation in power suppplies, or any electronics. Expect it to blow up soon if you dont replace it.
m
l
April 7, 2011 11:48:16 AM

Well, I have a Corsair 550W from August 2010, but I'm not sure whether my pc demands more power than it supplies
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 7:41:27 PM

simor said:
Well, I have a Corsair 550W from August 2010, but I'm not sure whether my pc demands more power than it supplies

Well, I really don't know. It passed those other tests. That is really weird...
m
l
April 7, 2011 8:01:49 PM

I'm gonna try and replace the RAMs and the GPU one at a time and check for errors. If it cures the problem I'll just post it here.

Btw there seems to be another symptom: when playing Crysis 2, the game lags for 15-20 secs every few mins, and then suddenly the system reboots without BSOD or any other error-messages.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 8:06:52 PM

simor said:
I'm gonna try and replace the RAMs and the GPU one at a time and check for errors. If it cures the problem I'll just post it here.

Btw there seems to be another symptom: when playing Crysis 2, the game lags for 15-20 secs every few mins, and then suddenly the system reboots without BSOD or any other error-messages.

That is really weird. Make sure your CPU water cooler has water in it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 10:03:26 PM

That game has done something similar to me, the computer doesn't shut down but for a couple seconds my GPU's ( 2x 465s) just shut off, the fans turn off, even the CPU and case fans shut off, it just went silent and black, but then a couple seconds later it all comes back. Once the game had crashed, but the other time I was still in the game connected to a multiplayer server, it was like my computer just went into hybernate momentarily and then came back. My cards weren't running hot, like 68° on the top card, and for comparison it hit 98° for long periods of time running Crysis 1 in the floating cave level and never did this. And I have an ANTEC TP750 new so I don't think it was a power issue. Is it possible the game has a bug that forces a computer to hybernate? It's only happened to me twice in the 20 or so hours I've played the game so it's not a big problem, it was just really wierd, eveything went black and then it just popped right back. Maybe I just had a quick stroke or an anurism.

m
l
!