Feedback on my PC spec

Mr S_90

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello,

I have purchased this spec and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to support the latest DirectX 11 games on max graphics settings without ANY lag?

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Processor: Intel i7 2600K 3.40Ghz (3.80Ghz Turbo)
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC 1GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Ram 8GB (2x4096) 1600Mhz

striker410

Distinguished
Well, you made a few bad choices. But it should do OK.
-Shoulda gone P8P67 pro instead of deluxe. save $50
-Shoulda got i5-2500k. Performs identically in gaming. Save $100
-With saved money upgrade to GTX 570.

But hey, it's too late. I think you should be able to play most games on high without any issues, although it's hard to say without knowing screen res. If you expect to max BF3 at 1080p, you're gonna be in for a bit of a shock.

However, nice build overall. Should serve you well.

Mr S_90

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for your reply and advice.

As you mentioned the GTX 570, I was thinking to go SLI as I have been told that 2 GTX 560 Ti's are a lot more powerful than a GTX 580 alone. But as it's the first time i'm doing this, heat will be an issue. Also, how close to one another would the cards be mounted because surely if they were too close the air flow would be limited causing them to overheat?

striker410

Distinguished
Ahh yes. I didn't know you planned to SLI in the near future. Make sure your power supply is AT LEAST 650w with 4x6 pci cables.

And the cards would be right next to each other. Yes this would hamper airflow, but most cards intake through the side of the card anyway.
Is this your card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125369 Gigabyte specifically tilted the face to allow intake on the card when in SLI. If you have it, you should be in good shape.

Mr S_90

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Im running a 750W power supply which is SLI ready so i think that should be fine. The only other thing i noticed is that this motherboard supports 1x16 PCI express, however, if you install SLI it runs at x8/x8 as opposed to x16/x16 which i would have preferred. Would this cause a lack in performance? End of the day, i don't want to be spending wasted money on something which isn't going to perform to perfection.

Do you have a gaming system?
Yes i think that is the same card... this is the link for the one i purchased anyway http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253958

striker410

Distinguished
Ahh, excellent. Does it have 4 PCI 6pin connectors?

And you will not get any bottlenecking with 8x.

And yes I have a gaming system, not as powerful as I wish it was due to budget constraints/HTPC use, but it gets the job done.

And that card is a bit different. However with sufficient cooling in the case, you should be ok.

Mr S_90

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Yes it does, i'm using 2 to power the current graphics card and there are 2 more for the additional one.

okay thanks for that, i will look into it in the near future.

Oh okay, did you build your own?

As a last query, I installed everything in my case then to find in the manual it says "Apply the Thermal Interface Material to the CPU heatsink and CPU before you install the heatsink and fan if necessary" so out of curiosity is this necessary? If it is essential I may have to disconnect the fan and apply this