Connection problem

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Hi,

I have a problem with my internet connection. When I connect directly my computer to the DSL modem the web page load as they should (i.e. fast). But when I connect through my router (a Dlink DI-704P) pages tend to load in burst with long delays between bursts. It takes a lot more time to load a simple web page when I connect through the router; however, download speed are not affected by it.

I tried everything, I could think off. I ran the tweak test on www.dslreports.com and it shows everything is fine. I updated the driver of my NIC, the firmware of the router, tested with two different browsers, played around with the MTU on both the router and the computer and nothing solved the problem. Somebody has an idea?

Also I want to make sure for my MTU settings, both the router and the computer have a MTU of 1492.

Thanks

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Does that router have any sort of content filter? If that is turned on I can see it loading the pages in chunks like that.
Option 2, try giving your computer static dns info that goes right to your ISP. The router might be being stupid about forwarding DNS requests.

If your routers config shows all the ip info it is recieving from the isp just look up the dns there. Otherwise just hookup the modem to your computer, go to a command prompt, and type in ipconfig /all. The dns servers will be in that list.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Thanks for the ideas, but there is no content filter on the router, and I tried specifying the DNS servers but it did not change anything.

Another question came into my mind in winXP, what 'items' should be enabled for my connection to the router. Presently I have enabled:
- Client for Microsoft Network
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network
- QoS Packet Scheduler
- NWLink NetBios
- NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios compatible Transfer Protocol
- Internet protocol (TCP/IP)

Do I need all of these? I don't know what half of those are for.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You don't need IPX/SPX (unless you are still lanning with super old games that use it) but I don't see how that could be causing any problems in a small lan. That will reduce your network traffic a bit though.

If that or any of the other things don't fix it all that is left is your router. It might just plain suck. I've seen other posts similar to this in the past regarding some dlink routers so I guess you suffering the same fate. I've seen this on a couple dlink and netgear routers.
It all comes down to personal preference for home routers. They are all basically the same feature wise. My personal preference is linksys because I have never seen one of thier products fail.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I finally found a solution, I lowered the MTU on both the router and the computer to 1452. I first tried 1472 and it did not work, but with 1452 the web pages load as they should. I can't figure out why a MTU of 1452 solves this problem, but it works so its good enough for me.

Thanks for your help.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Good to know, I'll log that in my memory for future dlink issues.