BOOT record change

G

I tried to install Windows 2000 on a second HD on a computer with running Win98. Because of "hardware malfunction" (TEKRAM motherboard) Windows 2000 is not running. Removing the Windows 2000 HD I still have it as a boot option. How can I change or remove the Windows 2000 as the primary boot option?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"...Removing the Windows 2000 HD I still have it as a boot option. How can I change or remove the Windows 2000 as the primary boot option?"</font color=green>
In addition to FDISK.EXE and SYS C:.
The <b>BOOT.INI</b> is the file that prompts you to choose the operating systems (and it also provides some info for the NTLDR boot loader: the default system partition and timeout). You must <b>delete the BOOT.INI file</b>. In case you want to get rid of all the traces of previous unsuccessful installation of Win2000, delete also the NTLDR, bootsect.dos, ntdetect.com, ntbootdd.sys, hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys <b>(if exist)</b>. The WINNT directory has been removed along with the Win2000 harddisk :smile: , I believe. Just double check that it's gone .

If any difficulties with deleting these hidden files:
- enable in View Folder Options “Show all files” and uncheck “Hide file extensions…;
- uncheck or remove Read-only, System, and Hidden attributes.