Sign in with
Your question

Sony LCD TV as monitor for PC problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2011 6:00:46 AM

Hello,
I am using a Sony Bravia 32" LCD tv as a monitor for my PC. It is connected from the DVI out of the PC into the HDMI input on the tv using an adapter cable. The problem is this; if I turn off the tv while the computer is on, when I turn the tv back on it doesn't detect an imput signal. At that point the only thing I can do is to reset the computer, which I hate to do especially when it might mean lost data. I have the same problem when I turn on the PC without first turning on the tv - "no input signal" (on the tv). Is something wrong or do I just have to live with this?
March 31, 2011 5:56:31 PM

I've tried a similar setup, in my case a PC connected to an old (3-4yr) Samsung LCD TV. I had similar problems with DVI-DVI, and DVI-HDMI, so had settled on using my VGA cable and stereo mini wire for audio. For my TV, 1080 resolution is supported with that connection.

I've recently switched back to DVI-HDMI, but in this case I found WirelessHD adapters that act as an HDMI cable replacement. Since the adapters are always on, I think the HDMI connection is always maintained: when I cycle through the inputs on my TV, HDMI shows up whereas before it would only appear when my source was powered on.

This fixed my power on/off sequencing problems, and had the added bonus of allowing me to move my PC's physical placement away from sitting next to my TV stand! It looks a lot cleaner!

Here's a link to the WirelessHD adapter pair I'm using if you want to take a closer look:
http://tinyurl.com/4fy3nlp

So, I think you're stuck with either changing your cable from DVI-HDMI to, say DVI-DSUB (or I call it VGA), using this wireless adapter, or always remembering to power on/off in the proper order.
m
l
!