745 Optiplex question

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
For the bad news first...as far as swapping your motherboard into a new case...not really..the motherboard is in BTX form...meaning the I/O connectors...mouse...keyboard...video...lan...sound...are all reversed.

When looking at the back of your case...all those connectors are on the RIGHT side of the case...in standard ATX form...this is REVERSED...all the connectors are on the LEFT side of the case..so the motherboard orientation is reversed in your mini-tower case...you can't just turn it around...the connectors would then be facing the front of the computer case.

Look Here
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op745/en/UG_en/mtindex.htm

That's all the specs and images for your rig.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

The good news here "I guess" is that the Mini-Tower CAN accept a standard ATX psu...not a lot of help I know but DELL is all about proprietary equipment so that the only folks working on them are DELL certified technicians...read as MONOPOLY!

Sorry about that but the facts are just that...the facts.

Newguy7

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Thank you tekman42. I read about the btx earlier but didn't want to believe. I just bought this thing a few days ago to you use a workhorse pretty much...I don't play games. Just movies & music.

Being able to change the power supply is a big help. That and adding another fan was the reason I wanted to change cases. $160 for a core 2 duo 2.4ghz 3GB DDR2 Windows 7 64bit isn't bad. I'll drop about $120 in it to take it to 8GB DDR2, a decent video card and some ventilation should have it running pretty decent in my opinion. Thanks again Tekman42.