I need help picking components.. I'm building a computer

dmarquand

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm building a computer for my mom and sister.. all they do is [strike]unproductive online browsing[/strike] Facebook. So, I don't need to spend too much money (hopefully below 4 or 5 hundred). I'm very confused on how this all works. Can I buy ANY component and as long as it's compatible with the motherboard, it'll work with everything else?

Heres what I had in mind:

-a medium end CPU (I was thinking Core 2 Duo, i3, or something AMD)
-a minimal graphics card (no video editing or anything).. don't make it too crummy
-4GB DDR3 RAM with Windows 7 64-bit
-Atleast a 320GB HDD drive, 5400rpm is fine
What power supply should I get?
What optical drive?
What motherboard?
What else?

My main question is, how do I find out what's compatible with what? Can I find that all on the motherboard's description? Are certain processors incompatible with certain graphics cards? Ugh!

I'm very new to all this.. If you could give me any other advice/words of wisdom that's be great.

Thanks

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
heres the deal. for a first time builder i'd recommend going with a diy kit. they have everything you need, and all the parts are compatable. that said, heres one i like for you -
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=621458&CatId=332

ASUS Triple Core Barebones Kit - AMD Phenom II X3 700e CPU, CPU Cooler, Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM, Seagate 500GB HDD, LG 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid-Tower, 450-Watt PSU
thats-
asus amd motherboard
3 core amd cpu 2.4 ghz
nvidia graphics on the motherboard
4gb ddr3 ram
500gb hd
dvd reader/writer
case
450 watt power supply

price - $250 (no os included)

if you want win 7, thats abt $100,
or you can put on ubuntu. for basic web usage a office programs, ubuntu is perfect. its free, fast, and not susceptible to windows viruses.
for you i'd recommend Ubuntu.

ps if you do buy windows, get home not professional.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I would suggest you get a low-end Sandy Bridge CPU (an i3 should be fine) and use the built-in graphics - no need for a discrete graphics card. Use an H67 motherboard. 4GB of DDR3 is cheap.

If you want to economise, then just buy the smallest hard disk you can get readily. If you can afford a bit more, then get a smallish (60GB?) SSD - the machine will boot extremely fast.

As to the rest of the build:

I like Pioneer opticals - I'd get a DVR-219 DVD writer.
Power supply? Perhaps get something like an Antec Sonata case (which comes with a decent power supply built-in)?

TRENDING THREADS