Sign in with
Your question

New Build Extreme GPU Setup Questions

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2011 5:29:56 PM

So here I was planning out a new system when a friend tossed a big shiny wrench into the works. I didn't use the standard New-Build Template because I just have a question on a GPU issue.

System Specs Here

Case: InWin Dragon Slayer
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU: i5-2500k
Cooler: Corsair CWCH60 (water)
GPU: Zotac GTX 560ti

You can see the other components through the link but they aren't especially relevant. (The optical drive is external, yes)

Conundrum: So my friend offered me a pair of EVGA GTX 295s, which is very incredibly awesome, but I need to restructure a bit, and wanted to make sure I could actually make it work.

I think the motherboard should fit the two cards, two double width cards are no problem, and I think the length won't impact the SATA connectors.

The case is quite roomy for a mATX, I don't see any issues there.

The PSU needs a bit of a bump. I was looking at the OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply. It's about $100 more than my current choice, but I have around $230 in savings from not having to get the 560ti. The cost to get the cards from him is about $100 in value, so if I factor that in I was thinking of using the last bit of savings to maybe bump up from the H60 to the H70. My other thought was to wait for a new Maximus Gene board in the 1155 series, but I'm not sure on the time or cost for that.

Any problems? I don't want to change cases unless I absolutely have to, which limits me to mATX, but I think this setup should be just fine.
June 13, 2011 5:44:23 PM

You can get by with a corsair 1000W psu, 1250W is overkill. 2x295 = 4x260 right? Is your friend offering them for roughly the same price as 1x560 ti?

Length wise, your motherboard is 9.6" and the cards are 10.5" so they will be nearly an inch longer than your motherboard. That will be annoying for the SATA slots.
m
l
June 13, 2011 9:07:02 PM

2x295 is 4x275 actually. He's offering them for roughly $100, so it's a no-brainer on taking them. Even though the cards are long, right angled sata connectors should sit fine I think, so long as they are attached before the card is put in, right?

Using the Outervision PSU calculator gives me a suggestion of 988 watts, so 1000 should be fine. A single card asks for 48 Amps on the 12v line. The CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX says it has 2 12v lines that each carry 40 Amps, and costs the same price as the OCZ I picked out, which has a single 102 Amp rail. The OCZ has a better efficiency certification too (gold instead of just plus), so I can't really see any reason to choose the Corsair.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2011 11:42:18 AM

I hate the right angle SATA cables >.< Mostly because all of my right angle cables are the wrong right angle for getting them in my board, but that's another issue :p 

Sounds like you've got it sorted out! I hope it works for you sounds like a beastly system. Do you plan on using gpu coolers?
m
l
June 14, 2011 5:29:09 PM

Oooh, I hadn't thought about the right angle connectors needing to be facing the right direction, that would be critical with this setup.

As for the GPU cooling, the case has 4 slots for fans in the side mostly over the pci-e slots. I figured just having some extra fans pulling the heat off the cards and out of the case would be fine. The case is designed for good airflow and I think I can make it work even with the pair of 295s clogging everything up.

It might end up being a bit too beastly, I haven't run the 295s, but I hear they are hot and loud. I think that's why my friend pulled them out. I think I can keep the heat in check, but if the noise from a pair of them is overwhelming I'll have to look into alternative cooling solutions or else scale back and maybe only use one of them until I run into games that actually need more power (295s aren't new kids on the block, but there still isn't much one of them can't handle).

Thanks for the input Crewton!

(Still open for more ideas from people in case I'm missing anything)
m
l
!