Avoiding counterfeit games?

Hi,

I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
(i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
to spot the bogus auction merchandise?

Steve
20 answers Last reply
More about avoiding counterfeit games

    Steven Folberg wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
    > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    >
    > Steve

    One thing is to make sure it's not coming from China, I've heard.

    Steven Folberg wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
    > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    >
    > Steve

    Sellers from Asia. Auctions stating "Cartridge only, no box or manual".
    Auctions that state that the game is guaranteed to be "100% working" or
    money back (defective authentic GBA are extremely rare so one would only
    bother stating such a guarantee if it happened more often than usual).
    Finally if the game is selling for an extremely low price be wary.

    Also check the feedback and see what kind of negatives were left (not
    just look at the number of negatives. Find and read what was said) and
    see if anybody else complained that it was a bootleg.

    It's unfortunate but it's practically impossible to get a non-bootleg
    GBA game on eBay nowadays. I remember when you can find at least 1
    auction out of 5 that were for authentic carts. Now it's about 1 out of
    20. eBay doesn't seem to care even though they claim to enforce
    copyright protection.

    Adnan

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:40:13 GMT, Steven Folberg
    <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote:

    >I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    >(i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
    >to spot the bogus auction merchandise?

    Shipping oversea is usually the #1 tipoff.

    IMO don't buy any new games off eBay, there's too many counterfiet
    games to risk your money. Buy it from a repuable web site or from
    local stores.

    On 10/25/04 5:49 AM, in article 3gmpn0l76huc63mobklfp6lkg174noi87m@4ax.com,
    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:40:13 GMT, Steven Folberg
    > <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    >> (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
    >> to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    >
    > Shipping oversea is usually the #1 tipoff.
    >
    > IMO don't buy any new games off eBay, there's too many counterfiet
    > games to risk your money. Buy it from a repuable web site or from
    > local stores.

    Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
    good prices and reliability?

    Steve
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message news:<BDA25E2B.1ECCD%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net>...

    > Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
    > good prices and reliability?
    >
    > Steve

    Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
    state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
    The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
    buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
    shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
    good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
    The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
    it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Jason Costa wrote:
    > Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message news:<BDA25E2B.1ECCD%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net>...
    >
    >>Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
    >>good prices and reliability?
    >>
    >>Steve
    >

    > Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
    > state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.

    Actually, people are able to re-shrinkwrap there box with the right
    equipment, so even that isn't a guarantee of newness. I've heard that
    places like EB and GameStop also do this in the store, but I don't know.

    Although I will say that won time a guy at GameStop asked me if I wanted
    him to put shrinkwrap back on a game that didn't have it, and I know
    they also have a hairdryer back there that helps seal it back up.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Thanks for the good suggestions. We have a local ebGames store. I'll have to
    check that out.

    SF

    On 10/25/04 11:52 PM, in article
    37cabe21.0410252052.75bd87ed@posting.google.com, "Jason Costa"
    <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:

    > Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
    >> good prices and reliability?
    >>
    >> Steve
    >

    > Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
    > state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
    > The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
    > buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
    > shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
    > good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
    > The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
    > it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Anyone suggest one in the UK?

    JF - Edinburgh/Scotland.
    > Thanks for the good suggestions. We have a local ebGames store. I'll have
    > check that out.
    >
    > SF
    >

    > On 10/25/04 11:52 PM, in article
    > 37cabe21.0410252052.75bd87ed@posting.google.com, "Jason Costa"
    > <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in
    message

    > >> Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers
    with
    > >> good prices and reliability?
    > >>
    > >> Steve
    > >

    > > Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
    > > state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
    > > The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
    > > buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
    > > shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
    > > good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
    > > The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
    > > it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at all
    aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked like
    a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
    running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
    stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
    opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
    cartridge.
    I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
    works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been banned
    from Ebay...
    Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
    game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters (I'm
    preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).

    "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
    bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
    > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    >
    > Steve

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]> wrote in message
    > Anyone suggest one in the UK?

    www.play.com
    www.gamestation.co.uk

    Deborah
    --
    Hamster Heaven - http://www.hamsterheaven.co.uk
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
    think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.

    "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    > A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at
    all
    > aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked
    like
    > a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
    > running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
    > stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
    > opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
    > cartridge.
    > I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
    > works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been
    banned
    > from Ebay...
    > Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
    > game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters (I'm
    > preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).
    >
    > "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
    > bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    > > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale"
    ways
    > > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    > >
    > > Steve

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
    wrote:

    >Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
    >think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
    >
    >"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >> A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at
    >all
    >> aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked
    >like
    >> a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
    >> running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
    >> stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
    >> opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
    >> cartridge.
    >> I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
    >> works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been
    >banned
    >> from Ebay...
    >> Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
    >> game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters (I'm
    >> preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).
    >>
    >> "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
    >> bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
    >> > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale"
    >ways
    >> > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
    >> >
    >> > Steve

    Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
    fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
    from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
    as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
    Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
    after two weeks.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
    when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
    artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the best
    way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while though
    is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved games are
    wiped.

    My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
    games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
    frustrating I tell ya!!

    "TagoMago" <spam@spam-like-domicile.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
    >>think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
    >>
    >>"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >>> A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at
    >>all
    >>> aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked
    >>like
    >>> a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
    >>> running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
    >>> stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
    >>> opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
    >>> cartridge.
    >>> I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
    >>> works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been
    >>banned
    >>> from Ebay...
    >>> Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
    >>> game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters
    >>> (I'm
    >>> preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).
    >>>
    >>> "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
    >>> bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...

    >>ways

    > Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
    > fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
    > from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
    > as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
    > Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
    > after two weeks.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    The moral of this thread seems to be "Don't buy games from eBay".

    I found one today that was described as " PLAYS AS EXACTLY AS ORIGANAL ".

    That sounds a bit fishy to me!!

    "kreation" <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
    > when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
    > artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the
    > best way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while
    > though is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved
    > games are wiped.
    >
    > My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
    > games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
    > frustrating I tell ya!!
    >
    > "TagoMago" <spam@spam-like-domicile.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
    >>>think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
    >>>
    >>>"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >>>all
    >>>like
    >>>banned

    >>>ways

    >> Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
    >> fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
    >> from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
    >> as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
    >> Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
    >> after two weeks.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    > EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
    > when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
    > artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the best
    > way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while though
    > is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved games are
    > wiped.
    >
    > My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
    > games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
    > frustrating I tell ya!!

    That's why I only buy games that still have a box and manual. Plus I
    check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
    sellers.

    I've never (at least to my knowledge) bought a fake after about 20 GBA
    game purchases on Ebay. Sure - I pay a lot more (still far less than
    new), but I get good as new, quality games for 1/2 - 3/4 the price I'd
    pay in store.

    So in summary - you're buying the wrong goods from the wrong people.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
    > kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > Plus I
    > check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
    > sellers.

    That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
    counterfeit games!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message news:<cnjdfp$gfp$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

    > That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
    > counterfeit games!

    That's true, there are people who buy from these sellers who are
    happy with them, resulting in positive feedback, and then there are
    people who are buying from them that don't realize they're buying fake
    games and are happy they were able to get a great deal from an
    importer. Many of these sellers have great feedback, and the feedback
    totals are usually very high. You can't really go by feedback all the
    time.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    BlackKnight <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
    > > kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > >
    > > Plus I
    > > check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
    > > sellers.
    > >

    > That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
    > counterfeit games!

    Which should, logically result in some negative feedback saying they
    were fakes.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > BlackKnight <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
    >> > kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Plus I
    >> > check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
    >> > sellers.
    >> >

    >> That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
    >> counterfeit games!
    >
    > Which should, logically result in some negative feedback saying they
    > were fakes.

    Assuming the purchasers don't like fakes, if you found a seller offering
    cheap copies and didn't mind the fact that they were copies would you
    complain and risk losing your source of cheap games?
  20. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is counterfeit and what is real. Usually the labels will be poorly printed, and occasionally put on crooked. And I'm not sure, but I think most counterfeit DS games start with NTR or something like that.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games