Sign in with
Your question

HI! First custom-built PC, what do you guys think about it? Thanks!

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2011 6:02:27 PM

Hi, I recently just got a job in the videogame design industry and I am looking to further my skills in graphic design and development plus I love me some gaming so I built this rig on Cyberpower.com and I just wanted to see what people thought of it and, if I could do things differently, what I should have done.

I was going for a mid-range, quieter, long-term gaming/work/life PC (as this is my first custom build and I'm a recent college-grad so I'm a little strapped for $$$). Anyways, it ended up costing $1,354 with $113 in taxes (I'm from California) and $75 in shipping. I checked the cost of all of the individual components thoroughly and I think I did pretty well for myself, what do you guys think? Thanks!

CyberPower X58 Configurator (NO MONITOR)
CFGI7Z, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Confi...
*BASE_PRICE: [+869]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+38] (BlackColor [+0])
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FA_HDD: None
FAN: * Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor) [+13]
FLASHMEDIA: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+20] (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: * Thermaltake eSports Challenger Gaming Keyboard Black [+33]
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+24]
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor [+0]
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M [+83]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+118] (HIS IceQ X Powered by AMD [+28])
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None

More about : custom built guys

June 13, 2011 10:08:53 PM

Looks good - however - you'd REALLY be better off with one of the new Intel chips! Look for a H67 / P67 motherboard with an i5-2500 or something like that, and 4-8gb of dual channel RAM.

It'll give you far more performance for the price you are paying.
m
l
June 14, 2011 3:24:53 AM

jasonw223 said:
Looks good - however - you'd REALLY be better off with one of the new Intel chips! Look for a H67 / P67 motherboard with an i5-2500 or something like that, and 4-8gb of dual channel RAM.

It'll give you far more performance for the price you are paying.

Hmm, how much more performance are we talking? I mean the i-960 is like going for 280 now and the i5 is going for 200. I know the i7 doesn't have the sandy bridge processor, and that it has like 17% over the Nehalem processors, but is it possible to get like a real look on how much more performance I would be getting?
m
l
June 14, 2011 4:15:36 AM

For gaming only an i5 2500k can go toe to toe with an i7 990x, and that is why it is a better option.

And for $1350 you could build a way better system yourself, repost if you would like an example of parts and total cost.

You can avoid the sales tax by buying parts off amazon :D 
m
l
Related resources
!