Sign in with
Your question

How to figure out what's gone wrong with computer

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2011 1:57:16 PM

Hello,

recently my mother's iMac G5 (isight) hard drive broke. The isight model is a lot worse for replacing components than standard G5 and I had to pull pretty much the entire thing apart in order to get to the screws which hold the hard drive in. I have never put a PC together before (because it always ends up cheaper to buy custom built one than buying the parts myself).

Anyway, I put everything back together, reapplied thermal paste and all. But it now won't turn on, or do anything at all. No beeps, no fans turning on, nothing. There's a chance I ruined something with static electricity or plugged the cables wrong (there's a lot of wires there and most don't have labels and I have not been able to find any instruction manuals).

Can somebody suggest a way to figure out what's gone wrong, or what component could be dead, or where can I get a manual for it (isight, not plain G5)? I.e. if I ruined the mobo with static, would the PC do absolutely nothing when power button is pressed?

Thanks

More about : figure wrong computer

September 8, 2011 2:23:27 PM

For a basic PC troubleshooting guide, go here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-faqs-build-...

Working on a G5 (of any sort) is a completely different matter. You should consider looking for a Apple related forum to get better advice. Here, you are likely to get more folks telling you should never use anything Apple/Mac related and not a lot of help.

I have repaired a couple of G5s and the issue is that everything in a G5 is proprietary and difficult to work with. I would recommend you take a look at everything you removed in the process of removing the HDD and verify that you re-install/re-connected everything properly. Could be as simple as re-attaching the front panel (with power button) connector.

Good luck!
September 8, 2011 3:43:43 PM

Thanks for that idea, I had a careful look and the cable connected to the power button had hid itself under the cpu fan and wasn't connected to Motherboard.

Now when I turn it on I do not get any picture on screen, and the CPU fan seems to go to 100% and stay there. Could be poor application of thermal paste, first time I've tried to do that.

Found this, very useful: http://www.scribd.com/doc/323004/imacg5-17-isight

Next to pwr slot on the Mobo, there is a slot called ALS, anyone know what that stands for? From the guide above, looks like that should be plugged into somewhere and isn't.
Related resources
September 8, 2011 4:42:09 PM

does it have a battery - and a jumper for resetting bios - if so take battery out and reset the bios and put it back in :) 
Anonymous
September 8, 2011 4:48:20 PM

Furious5k said:
Thanks for that idea, I had a careful look and the cable connected to the power button had hid itself under the cpu fan and wasn't connected to Motherboard.

Now when I turn it on I do not get any picture on screen, and the CPU fan seems to go to 100% and stay there. Could be poor application of thermal paste, first time I've tried to do that.

Found this, very useful: http://www.scribd.com/doc/323004/imacg5-17-isight

Next to pwr slot on the Mobo, there is a slot called ALS, anyone know what that stands for? From the guide above, looks like that should be plugged into somewhere and isn't.

I believe it stands for ambient light sensor, which stand to reason it has something to do with your lcd or possible camera. Good luck!
September 8, 2011 5:01:15 PM

With G5s, when you change the hardware, the system will often revert to a diagnostics state afterward. One of the signs of this is that the CPU fans will run at 100% and not spin down as they usually do. You correct that by inserting the proper Apple Diagnostics Disk, botting from it, and running the program itself. This will reset the hardware to its intended operational states.

This may be an issue for this particular system. Also, verify that all power connectors were properly re-connected and that the video card is properly installed.
September 9, 2011 6:30:22 PM

Would booting up the computer while it's in "diagnostics state" without a disc mean the screen would stay blank, or is that a different issue that I need to figure out?
September 9, 2011 6:40:10 PM

Furious5k said:
Would booting up the computer while it's in "diagnostics state" without a disc mean the screen would stay blank, or is that a different issue that I need to figure out?

It is likely a different issue. Did you have to remove the video adapter when you opened the system (or disconnect the display)?
!