Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Can I get quad channel ram on a i5 2500k?

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 28, 2012 9:22:45 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to get quad channel ram for the i5 2500k CPU? or Does the type of RAM depend on the mobo?


Setup
i5 2500k
Asus P8Z77-V LK
i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600Mhz

The reason im asking this is because in the future I am looking towards upgrading my ram to 12gb+ and that requires triple+ channel.

More about : quad channel ram 2500k

a b } Memory
May 28, 2012 9:50:05 PM

All mobos that support quad and triple channel rams are the socket 2011 boards so that means not for the I5...but u can get em and they will work in dual
Score
0
May 29, 2012 2:56:34 AM

So when I decide to upgrade my ram I will have to stay with dual channel? or until I upgrade my mobo/cpu?
Score
0
Related resources
May 29, 2012 3:01:37 AM

You can run 4 DIMMs but they can only be addressed in dual channel.
Score
0
May 29, 2012 3:10:13 AM

ok, im confused
Score
0
a b } Memory
May 30, 2012 9:54:34 PM

only mobo that supposrts the quad and triple channel is the i7 extreme boards , so yea unless u switch to the socket 2011 mobo and the i7 extreme u cant run them in quad channel, only dual channel mode
Score
0

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 30, 2012 10:09:40 PM

Let's clear this up slightly. A Quad Channel kit is just guaranteed to work in a Quad Channel configuration because it's a matched set. It'll still work just fine in dual channel mode, it just won't be Quad Channel with a LGA 1155 CPU/mobo.
Share
May 31, 2012 12:21:12 AM

So, if I do end up filling 4, rather than my current 2, dimms then it will still work with lga 1155?
Score
0
a b } Memory
May 31, 2012 12:22:06 AM

jjesco5 said:
So, if I do end up filling 4, rather than my current 2, dimms then it will still work with lga 1155?


Yep, just in Dual Channel mode.
Score
0
May 31, 2012 12:33:52 AM

so it would be 2xdual channels right? Sorry, I am very new to computer parts/building
Score
0
a b } Memory
May 31, 2012 12:48:50 AM

jjesco5 said:
so it would be 2xdual channels right? Sorry, I am very new to computer parts/building


Yep. :) 
Score
0
May 31, 2012 4:31:26 AM

ok awesome, Thanks for all the help!

I have another question but it is about a case, im going to ask it but I understand if it is for a different section/forum

For the Cooler Master HAF 912, is it necessary to add in extra fans? like 3 more 120mm fans for 2 top, 1 more bottom, and 1 side? or adding in two 200mm fans and moving the extra 120 to the side? what would work best? please keep in mind im trying to keep the fan budget under 15 bucks.
Score
0
a b } Memory
May 31, 2012 4:35:35 AM

jjesco5 said:
ok awesome, Thanks for all the help!

I have another question but it is about a case, im going to ask it but I understand if it is for a different section/forum

For the Cooler Master HAF 912, is it necessary to add in extra fans? like 3 more 120mm fans for 2 top, 1 more bottom, and 1 side? or adding in two 200mm fans and moving the extra 120 to the side? what would work best? please keep in mind im trying to keep the fan budget under 15 bucks.


Cases and fan placement aren't really my area of expertise, so I'd say go on over to the CPU's and Components/Power Supplies, Cases and Mods subsection and ask over there.
Score
0
May 31, 2012 11:58:52 PM

Ok, thanks again for the help.
Score
0
a c 146 } Memory
June 30, 2012 11:48:57 AM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
Score
0
a c 146 } Memory
June 30, 2012 11:49:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!